Main Menu

Vision Tracker

Started by per_w_aberg, December 01, 2013, 06:21:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

per_w_aberg

Hi friends!

For 10 years I've imagined a street tracker build on a XZ550 so I finally pulled it together an bought a specimen and started chopping away. Its funny no one has tried it that I know of since the Vision must be one of the most suitable starting material. OK, here it goes, progress so far involves losing the center stand, misc. brackets, rear end, lowering the front shock mount, proper handlebar mounts. The big thing now is the tank. The volume of  small tracker tank will probably be eaten up by the tunnel so I'm leaning towards a chopped stock tank for a slightly wider look. Hold on for project updates.

Per
Sweden

supervision

That's cool!!  Did you start with a running Bike?
" border="0

Rikugun

Welcome to the site and thanks for posting pics of your project build.  :) Around these parts most Yamaha builds like this revolve around the 650 twin. It's conventional forks, rear suspension, chain drive, and air cooled engine apparently are desirable. Or maybe the engine design looks close enough to the old Triumphs some used to use as a stating point?

Anyway, I'm very curious to see your dream (or should I say vision  ;)) take shape. To your mind, what features of the Vision make it an ideal stating point? Good luck and keep the progress reports coming!  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

per_w_aberg

Hi guys.

Thanks for your interest in the project. I'm sure this project wouldn't be possible without all the knowledge in this forum. Tons of crucial info. The bike was not running but turning over so I took a chance since the price was right and there was half a bike in parts to go along. The XS650 feels so done and I just love the high tech look of the engine, and mono shock is a dream, it just smells race. Presumably it was the first water cooled Japanese bike without cooling fins (?) I like to call it a art project and the road is the goal on this one.

QBS

per, welcome to the group!  Are you aware of the Memphis Shade V dirt tracker from several years ago?

per_w_aberg

That' what I'm talking about! Didn't know that one. There's more hard core Vision racing at http://www.riderfiles.com/coopers-vision/

Skickas från min iPhone via Tapatalk

QBS

Well, thank you very much per for that wonderful link.  Eddie Wilbanks describing his V build up...outstanding!  Must Read for V lovers.

The Prophet of Doom

There are a lot of modified visions - quite a few badass racers and some godawful choppers.  Trackers are few and far between.
Not my pics...

per_w_aberg

Now we're talking! That's some nice pictures and good inspiration. I like the way they seem to solve sufficient length of the rear exhaust pipe.

The Prophet of Doom

Have a search on this forum for treedragon's exhaust.  It does a big curve where the main stand used to be.

The Prophet of Doom

Note the carb treatment on the memphis shades bike

per_w_aberg

I'm so glad I started this tread, now all sorts of cool things pop ups. Thanks! Today I bring you a pair of glass blasted lower fork legs stripped of the fender mounts. This is a dual disk bike but I'm loosing one disk. The bike's gonna be so much light that I'm guessing one disk, though smaller than a single disk bike, will do the job. The mock up of my killer Acrapovic muffler is suggesting it might be to large.. and the its the question of positioning the seat. I've seen the exhaust under the engine and that's cool but I think my take is cooler :)

Rikugun

Quote from: per_w_aberg on December 02, 2013, 05:08:30 AM
This is a dual disk bike but I'm loosing one disk. The bike's gonna be so much light that I'm guessing one disk, though smaller than a single disk bike, will do the job.
If you find it's not quite enough, a multi piston caliper could be fitted.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

per_w_aberg

Dual piston caliper is certainly an option, we'll see. My new motor stand turned out better than expected an would be a good advice to anyone planning to free the motor. My guess is there's no other motorcycle witch it could be any easier. I simply rolled my bike next to the engine an lifted it on the engine with minimal effort. The air filters has plenty of room even though i cut the rear tank mount and no rubber padding int the front mounts making it aprox 1.5" lower. I aiming for the lowest possible tank fit. The exhaust will fit between the cylinder and the frame, that's a nice bonus. Being around enduro bikes is inspiring when it comes to creative exhaust routing.

per_w_aberg

More mockup. There are some nice lines in tank/swingarm and ducktail/frame tubes that's going to be killer. The tank needs serious chopping, a 3/4 vision tank would be nice. I'm having the rear frame rebuild by a bike shop. It just so happens that Unique Custom Cycles, UCC, is close to where i live. Can the weld? Just look below!

Maybe I forgot to mention that this is going a street bike, with licence to make trouble.

per_w_aberg

About air filters, I read bad things about loosing the air box for small foam/K/N filters. It seems there's problem getting the bike to run right. I thought that was a problem with vacum/SU carbs. Has anyone had success with small air filters and proper jeting? 

Rikugun

All carbs will require jetting changes when changing to pod filters. Besides jet changes, vacuum (CV) carbs may also require special attention e.g. enlarging the slide hole and/or changing the spring.

From what I've read on this forum, many have found Vision carbs don't work well with pod filters. The design doesn't seem to cope well with signal loss during abrupt throttle changes. The stock air box flapper may help "soften" those changes - much like the secondary's air door on a "quadrajunk" automotive carb. With proper tuning and airbox flapper, the Vision carb works moderately well. Without the airbox and flapper, the accelerator pump alone can't supply sufficient fuel during signal loss. Just my 2 cents.

If someone reading this thread has found success with pod filters hopefully they will post their findings.  :)

per_w_aberg

Thanks, yes it sounds like challange allright. It might be fun to try some modifications. I got a spare carb to try on.

pullshocks

So what kind of carbs are these on the Memphis Shades racer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fret not

Keihin FCR carbs make some very nearly down draft units that could be adapted to the XZ.  They come as stock equipment on some hot street rockets and are available as aftermarket additions, if you have the money.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!