News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

weekend ride to get parts

Started by dingleberry, December 03, 2013, 04:16:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dingleberry

I'm away this weekend to Dunedin (about 500km) to pick up some parts for my XJ650/750. Looking forward to getting away from family (yes, I'm a mean bugger) and doing the burkes pass and danseys pass road. It's all gravel and I will not see another road user for nearly 200km. Just me, the bike (BMW1150gs), flask of coffee and a large quantity of bacon sandwiches. I will take some photos along the way to post here. 
You like, oui?

Rikugun

That sounds awesome and I look forward to the pics!  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

The Prophet of Doom

Bloody strange way of getting to Dunedin. 

I was nearby there once -  I went to St Bathens over the "road" from Lindis pass.   I got a bit nervous when the road turned into a sloped sheet of slippery rock with a 4000m drop on one side and my car started travelling sideways towards it.

Have fun, everything is better with bacon :-)

dingleberry

So I started out on a windy but pleasant Saturday morning. Rode for a few hours from Oxford to Fairlie then up the road a bit to Burkes Pass where I turned off onto the deserted and gravel road of the Mackenzie Pass. After a few kms of this I stopped for a photo and happened (luckily) to notice my back tyre was split between the tread the whole circumference of the tyre!  No bike shops that I know of would be open on a Sat arvo except back close to home. So I turned around and rode carefully home and made it without incident Parts still need collecting from Dunedin so was pretty dissappointed.
You like, oui?

fret not

That looks ready for a change anyway.  Not much tread left.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

js9_20

Nice photo.., Looks like a beautiful place to ride!