Tiny, sealed, inexpensive lithium battery.

Started by tig5, December 17, 2013, 07:40:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Re-Vision

Think I would buy one with more cells.              BDC

QBS

So, what should one buy if one wanted to acquire 12 vdc?

Re-Vision

All of them are configured for 12 Volts, more cells provide more cold cranking amps and the charge will last longer. Downside-more likely to burn-up starter if you keep turning it over, also heavier and more expensive.      BDC.

cvincer

At 135 CCA (cold cranking amps) the small one is of no use to a Vision.  The 8 cell has enough power, but unless your rebuild necessitates the battery lying on its side, upside down, or in a confined space......... why spend   US$149 ?   A decent lead/acid is a lot cheaper.

The Prophet of Doom

Every pound lighter your battery is, is a dozen christmas mince tarts you can eat :-)
I like the idea of the LiFePo4 batteries.  I have one a shorai for the racer, but there are lots of stories about them bursting into flame if you don't control the output voltage from your r/r.  Probably exaggerated but they make me nervous.

Jimustanguitar

There have been a lot of LI battery discussions on the Buell forum that I read, and on a more electronic fuel injected bike, people have had mixed results with lithium batteries. I guess they need to "warm up" before they can deliver full current and voltage. The currently accepted procedure is to turn on the key and shine the headlight to draw some juice while you suit up and put on your helmet, then it's ready to start the bike and will provide the amps that the starter needs and the voltage that the ECM needs.

I don't have any experience with this personally, but I would put an AGM battery in mine if it needed one. There's less fire risk that way too. I'm not very inclined to trust the quality of the cheapest Chinese battery one can find on Ebay.

Rick G

I am on my second AGM, The first one lasted 7 years and provided excellent service.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

dingleberry

Try "EdBear" on KiwiBiker forum for shorai batteries. @POD a real café racer has no battery
You like, oui?

Lester56

I have purchased a 6 cell for my Vision. It was expensive, $150, but took 10 lbs off weight of bike. It's a Ballistic.
1982 Vision - heavily modified
1984 Honda VF700S Sabre
2002 Honda Interceptor
2006 Triumph Sprint ST ABS

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: dingleberry on January 06, 2014, 06:14:55 AM
@POD a real café racer has no battery
You think I should design a kick starter and points for my V.
That would be a challenge

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: Lester56 on April 20, 2014, 11:07:22 PM
I have purchased a 6 cell for my Vision. It was expensive, $150, but took 10 lbs off weight of bike. It's a Ballistic.
Let us know how it goes - there are a few here who would be keen on these if the reports are good.