News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Yamaha Emblem Restoration?

Started by wolfman, August 23, 2003, 01:41:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfman

Anybody tried to restore their tank, fork, side panel or rear cover Yamaha emblems?  I'm referring to the Gold Chrome "decal" portion that always seems to flake off.  There is some Gold Chrome vinal auto trim tape available in 6" x 14' rolls for around $10 (US) from Trimbrite.  It would seem that with alot of time and some xacto knife work it "could" be done.  I'm just wondering if anyone has tried and what the results looked like.  Now that my bike is mechanically sound, it's time to get it looking better, and fresh paint with missing or ugly emblems just won't do, and the factory emblems (if you can find them) are $$$ Suggestions?  Comments?

Humber

OK... I don't know what's in US.. but in POland there are special shops that offer ?plastic chroming, so u can restore YICS box, emblems.. put some chrome on headlight bucket or anything u wish....

As for paints.. I don't think there are any which would give the effect of genuine chrome... but.. I saw a powder paint that shines as real gold... and I am going to paint my engine this way...

OK, your idea seems to be great... although a lot of 'exacting' involved... we don't have such things over here.. but certainly the final result will be OK....

and... I think there might be some paints/powders for restoring picture frames.... this may also work... but frames are made of wood.. so... any more ideas???

nie ma podpis?w

Lucky

I have my tank & fairing badges off now as a matter of fact because i'm repainting my fairing.  They are made of plastic & are plated.  

there are 2 ways to go about this. first you can go to a high auto end dealer and talk to the sales manager.  They often use a service from a plating company. these guys come out to the dealers & gold plate the emblems on some of the more expensive cars, & the results are impressive, see if they can give you the name & number of the guy who does it, or possably when they expect to see him next. but this is likely to be expensive. (or look in the phone book)

The other option is to gold paint the badges yourself & wet sand in between coats, using super fine grit.  I'm probably the worst at body work, so don't ask me for examples lol

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

squid

dont forget to clear coat after it will bring the shine right into the paint ;D

Rick G

I've painted a couple  and there not bad ,certainly not chrome , but  there presentable.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Cdnlouie

I ordered two new tank emblems last summer and got them from Yamaha Canada. They were not that expensive.  They sure look nice new.

Figured it was not worth the pain and suffering of masking the  letters off.

Louie  :-/

Rick G

Here they are 35.00 , a copy.  I didn't mask them , I used a brush to fill in between the letters.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Cdnlouie

Hey I got a smoking deal here then.  $24 each.  They must have some old stock in Montreal.

Louie  :D

Humber

yea... I was told this price some time ago at my shop... but damn.. it is too high for me...
nie ma podpis?w