Customizations for my XZ550 (advice needed)

Started by ghostrider, January 24, 2014, 10:18:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghostrider

All,

I am making a list of upgrades that I would like to have performed on my Vision in the next 1 - 2 years, depending on my bank roll.  I used the search feature on this site but could not find a conclusive list for what I am looking for.  If possible, can anyone provide examples or links of the following items that are compatible with our bikes?

Saddle bags - I like the one's that YellowJacket has on his Vision but I do not know the make and model.  Also, I am not sure how he mounted them...

Exhaust - As much as I would like to keep the stock pipes, mine are rusty, cracked and have been welded together multiple times.  I feel like I am losing power and sound appeal.  Anyone have some experience on upgrading pipes?  I saw a youtube video with SuperTrapp pipes that sounded really cool but I couldnt find them on the Supertrap site.  What does everyone think of 2 in 1 pipes for extra performance?

Thanks everyone!

GR

ghostrider

After searching over internet retailer inventories, I am having a tough time finding pipes that will fit the vision.  Many of the sites I have gone to have pipes that only fit certain make and model bikes. 

How has everyone else gone about getting new pipes for their vision?

Jimustanguitar

There are a couple people that still make aftermarket pipes for Visions. I think the general consensus is to go with MAC pipes. They do a production run every couple years if you want new new (may still have some stock from this past summer) and it seems that there's always a used pair up for grabs.

I believe that others have used a Predator exhaust system, but I'm not sure if these are still in prod. I seem to recall that they were European too, so location may be a factor.

I've got a factory setup that sounds nicer than yours. Not mint or new, but solid for 30 years old. I'll take a second look at them and PM you what condition they're in. I think the header pipes are in pretty decent shape.

I also have a luggage rack if you're interested. A lot of bags will mount to a rack at the top, and then they just have a small wire loop/bracket at the bottom that keeps the bags out of the wheel. I'll take some pictures of it for you too.

ghostrider

Jim - thank you for the info.  I look forward to your IM.

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: Jimustanguitar on January 29, 2014, 08:51:36 AM
There are a couple people that still make aftermarket pipes for Visions. I think the general consensus is to go with MAC pipes.
I certainly wouldn't say that Macs are a "consensus", but they are North American (if that matters to you), and available new on Ebay from time to time.  There is a pair on ebay now
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-XZ550-Vision-2-2-Black-MAC-Exhaust-System-XZ-550-804-0733-/171069501503?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27d489703f&vxp=mtr

I imported a pair of Macs but was so unimpressed they are now sitting on a shelf -  I couldn't bring myself to put them on the bike.  The metal is lightweight, coating quality is poor, and you have to drop the muffler off to remove the rear wheel.  I think they look distinctly odd (lopsided) and I think rowdier than is strictly polite.  The 4-2-2 with no crossover makes use of an exhaust gas analyser easy, but uses the stock Y pipe with all of the difficulties of that.

Cycleworks are available from www.cycleworks.co.nz.  They ship worldwide and are superior to Macs in build quality and available in black, chrome or stainless.  They are very nice looking - similar to stock but without the flare, though they will do a flare and/or slashcut on request.  4-3x2 design is same as stock and uses the stock Y pipe.  They come without header pipes as they use the stock ones.  Not drilled for an EGA, but could be requested at build time. A definite performance boost over stock and a nice rumble.

Predators are available new from Predator Motorsports in UK  www.predatormotorsport.co.uk  These are 4-2-1 pipes made in stainless.  These are a total replacement system (no Y pipe).  Build quality is excellent,  look utterly gorgeous and in my opinion well worth the extra price.  Available in competition or street versions and are full stainless.  Not drilled for EGA, but possibly could be requested at build time, or done afterwards.  Can't comment on performance / sound yet.

Marving in Germany build mufflers as well and often available on ebay.de.  I have no experience of these.

Spec 2s are available second hand only.  They are a nice 4-2-2 design that allows easy use of an EGA, although the pipework is steel and the ones I bought were overly corroded.  They use the stock Y pipe.  The cans are aluminium and will shine up nicely if they are not too pitted.  I got mine ceramic coated, but the pitting was still too obvious.  Until I got a pair of Predators I was going to take a pattern off the Specs and get some custom ones built locally out of stainless.  Mine were unbaffled and so overly loud.  Bike went really well with these. 

Pannier Bags
I think YJ's are genuine Yamaha off a Seca or some such.  Search his old posts I think there's a writeup on fitting.

Most luggage could probably be made to fit though you may have to build some brackets out of mild steel strapping.  Most dealers will offer a fitting service.  I got some older K2 Krauser bags http://krauser.de/ with universal mounts which fitted just by drilling a couple of extra holes to adjust to a sporty angle.  The K2s are a bit boxy, but more age appropriate than the latest shape.   Removable and lockable.  Removing the pillion grab handles will allow a closer fit to the bike. 

Shoei panniers off the old police bikes also look good but only available second hand.  Removing grab handles is a must with these else they look stupid.  The integrated turn indicators are cool.  Lockable but not removable.

Although I tried the 2 types of hard luggage I found soft luggage more suitable for me - the hard luggage and fairing makes the bike a bit of a miniature Goldwing and too wide for lane splitting.  Any medium sized soft panniers will work, though try to get ones with stiffeners as the XZ550 wheel is fairly exposed.

Ventura http://www.ventura-bike.com/default.aspx still make XZ550 pack racks - build is on request so there is a 3 week wait time.  They fit well and build quality is good.  They don't have pannier loops.

xzt...

Hi,
the Marving Exhaust are not build in germany, Marving is from Italy  ;)
The sound is muffled and quiet.

xzt...

QBS

George R. Young

I put a number of parts from the '83 onto my '82, but I see you already have an '83.

The MAC exhaust was adequate but a mite loud.

Fork gaiters protect the seals and look 'sharp' (see my avatar).