Left engine cover gasket - what shape??

Started by biaggi, August 23, 2003, 01:25:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biaggi

Hi all,

I'm making a new gasket for the left engine cover (much cheaper than buying one and better quality no doubt!), however I need to know a bit of info.

I haven't got the old one to refer to (cover was bonded direct to the engine) so need to know how much inside needs to be covered.

Using this link as a guide:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/JET_AV8R/Vision/Stator/StatorPuickups1x500.JPG

How much of the wire section at the bottom needs to be included???

I hope this makes sense!!! :)

Humber

nie ma podpis?w

Lucky

Not sure what Humber sent you, but the stock gaskett covers both grommets.  Use yamabond #4 (or hondabond #4, same stuff) on the engine side of the gasket & stick it to the engine.  this way the rotor won't dislodge the gasket when the cover is put on.

Also put a litte sealer on the wires & move them back & forth in the gromets to seal the wires.  coat the grommets where they sit in the cover

last tip: don't fill the gaps between the gromets because the sealer will not harden fully & mix with the oil...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

biaggi

Walt_M.

I will probably get some flak for this but I used red Permatex Form a Gasket on mine last time in and it is holding just fine. Just clean it well and follow directions. My plumbing shop 'O' ring for the starter seal is still holding up too.
Whale oil beef hooked!

QBS

Walt, please clarify what part of the starter you are sealing with your plumbing shop "O" ring.  Cheers.

Walt_M.

Where it enters the engine case. As the NAPA guy said, neoprene is neoprene and mine has been holding for nearly 2 months, probably 3-4 hundred miles.
Whale oil beef hooked!