Coolant leak from weep hole

Started by xz550uk, February 08, 2014, 11:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xz550uk

Hi All

After four months of every Saturday doing resto work on my XZ I now have a weep hole leak.

Not an issue though Haynes says I need to take the casing to a Yami dealer to have the seal pressed in... any tips to doing it myself ?

motoracer8

I've done several, it's nice to have a press so the new seal goes in straight.
83 Vision and 11 others, Japanese, German and British

George R. Young

I think I tapped one in with a socket or something. Anything to avoid going to a dealer.

The Haynes manual is quite conservative about doing it yourself versus getting the dealer to do it.

turbosteve84

Passed on buying an '82 Vision today because of a coolant leak. It was coming from the right side of the engine, spilling out of a small hole just below where the coolant lines enter the engine. Coolant was puddling on the ground below the center of the engine. Is this the same as the "weep hole" mentioned in this thread? Is this right side engine cover where the coolant pump is? What is the most likely cause of this leak?

--Steve
Steve
saddlebums.tumblr.com

QBS

Yes.  Yes.  Failed water pump seal.

The Prophet of Doom

I wouldn't miss out on a bike because of it.
$24 part and a coolant change which is probably overdue anyway.

K & L do a drift for installing it, but not available here

turbosteve84

Thanks for the quick replies, guys.
Maybe I'll pick it up afterall. There were other issues but the coolant leak was the one that scared me the most since I have little experience with water-cooled motorcycle engines. --Steve
Steve
saddlebums.tumblr.com