News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Has Anyone Used the 6Sigma Carb Kits?

Started by Re-Vision, February 11, 2014, 04:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rikugun

Interesting.... So you send them the bike and carb specs and they build you a kit specifically to your needs.  The kit for a 550 4 cylinder from them is $79, so I wonder if that $49.50 Vision kit is for both carbs?

From the ad it seems they're geared up for slide carbs as it mentions needle spacers and slide lift hole enlarging drill bit.  I wonder if they would have any idea what to do with the Vision carbs? Can't hurt to investigate, let us know what they say.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

dingleberry

Quote from: Rikugun on February 11, 2014, 05:37:04 PM
The kit for a 550 4 cylinder from them is $79, so I wonder if that $49.50 Vision kit is for both carbs?

It says in the FAQ section that a kit is for all the carbs on the bike.
You like, oui?

Rikugun

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Cdnlouie

Gentlemen,

I believe that this kit is not a carb rebuild kit, but a jet kit.  This most likely means that they are focused on providing only the main and pilot jets which affect tuning and performance issues.  If true, that would mean you might only be getting the six jets (3 per carb) that affect the mixture settings.  You are paying for their expertise to determine the jet selection that might (emphasis on might) offer your bike some performance improvement. We have pretty much covered those options on the forum here. I don't see any indication that there are any other components being offered.

It sure sounded like a nice price though.  Good research too.

Re-Vision

I think you are correct about it being a jet kit but with four jets at $6.09 and two  at $7.39.They also provide needle jets which make me think this may be a worth while kit.          BDC

The Prophet of Doom

The description stated needle adjusters/spacers rather than needle jets.  But I think this must be a generic description because the downdraught carb doesn't have a needle, and so no needle jet.  We have the float valve - described as a needle valve set in the parts lists, but you wouldn't put a spacer on these and I doubt this is what they are talking about.

I still think it would be a worthwhile kit.  If they haven't filed the numbers off, it would be very interesting to know what they use.  Unless they get one of every bike in for testing my guess would be that they just have a formula for richening up the carb.  This post lists the various jet sizes from all our literature for comparison http://ridersofvision.net/rovforum/index.php?topic=12726.msg115888#msg115888

BTW jetsrus.com do unbranded jets for about half those prices but their shipping cost to the colonies is outrageous.

Re-Vision

POD, the main thing I have learned while researching carb parts is how amazingly ignorant I am about carburetors. This isn't going to change in the next few days.       BDC

The Prophet of Doom

That's understandable - most of the info on the interweb doesn't apply directly so it's very confusing.  We can all help, and I do think your idea is a worthy one

The Prophet of Doom

I couldn't stand not knowing what's in the 6 Sigma jet kit any longer, so splashed out and got one.

It comes with 5 Main jets (of which you use two) two pilot jets, a drill for removing the blanking plate if you are unfortunate enough to live in California, a sticker, and a pretty crap installation guide.

The installation guide gives some good hints for sealing air leaks, drilling the echaust etc that you would already know if you read RoV.  For jet selection it is no help at all.  The only selection advice is this...

Quote from: 6SigmaRacingReplace with 134 on front cylinder.  Use 138 main jet provided on rear cylinder.  If still lean at full throttle go up 1 size on both.  If rich go down.

that's it - (plus a warning that some jets are measured in mm some by cc/min.  It doesn't say which theirs are.

All in all not a total waste of money - Just buying the jets would cost about the same, but definitely not a must buy item in my book. 

Rikugun

Thanks for the review. Is that little box with a "X" a placeholder for a picture that won't show?

The Prophet of Doom

Yes, very odd because it shows fine on mine.  I've refreshed so take a look now - otherwise I'll move them somewhere else

Rikugun

artbone

I bought one for my 83 after I moved to Mexico from Atlanta GA. I went from about 1200 FT to 6500 FT and the bike really ran awful. It's been so long that I don't remember the details but the bike ran much better afterwards. I do remember that it took some screwing around to get it right but, hey, that's what we do.
Art Bone

'83 Yamaha Vision in the Classic Black and Gold  Running
'82 Yamaha Vision Running
'74 Norton Fastback - Colorado Norton Works #26  Running
'73 Norton Interstate  Running
'75 Triumph T 160  Running
'62 Harley Davidson Vintage Racer
'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650