Starter not engaging engine

Started by sgrprincees, August 23, 2003, 10:15:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sgrprincees

I have been working on fixing some problems with my Vision, such as leaking gas and leaking exhaust.  I also cleaned my carbs out which made the bike about twice as fast, the main jet on one of the carbs was totally clogged by rust.  So having fixed that I got my younger brother to push start me several times, and he is ready to be done with that.  The starter seemed to be engaging the engine only ocassionally, so knowing about the starter seal problem I went and bought a double lip spring seal and installed it in the starter, which was full of oil and metal flakes.  The starter seems to be turning, but there is no response from the engine.  Please tell me what to do.

Lucky

When it's running do you hear a knocking noise that goes away over 2500 rpm? (loose starter clutch bolts)

It sounds like it's time to bite the bullet and pull the left engine cover & see what's going on in there.  (you knew you'd have to eventally  ::) )  My guess is that the starter clutch has failed.  There is a diagram of the starter clutch system on my site.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Lucky

By the way, that's what little brothers are for!  ;D
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

sgrprincees

No, I don't hear the knocking noise.

QBS