News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

A Great Big Thank You to ROV

Started by Fuzzlewump, October 14, 2013, 10:27:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzlewump

It's been just about a year since I bought my Vision and joined this site. I knew absolutely nothing about motorcycles besides how to ride one, and I certainly had no idea where to start with bringing my old V back to life from a sleep of 12 years. One of my "bucket list" items was to build a motorcycle from the ground up, learn it in and out.

I haven't completed this but I am well on my way and it is because of the assistance you all have given. Silly as it may sound to some of you, my experience with this bike over the past year has been literally life changing and the knowledge and skills I've obtained are more valuable to me than I can express.

You have all been extremely helpful and knowledgeable, kind and patient while encouraging me all the way. Sunburnedaz, Rick G, Rikugun, Tiger, QBS, CanadianLouie, NightVision, RorotheEverlastingProphetofDoom, Jimustanguitar, Lucky, Pinholenz, Fretnut, and all the others who I can't think of off the top of my head because it's late and I'm exhausted....

THANK YOU!!!

You are gentlemen and scholars, every one.
Know ye not that ye are a gremlin?? Thou hast no quarter here- flee now from me!!

QBS

Fuzz...,thank you very much for your kind expression of appreciation for the group.  What is the status of your Vs' revival?

The Prophet of Doom

Thanks Fuzzlewump
I like to help out as much as I can, but can only do that because others have helped me in the past.  Many of them sadly are no longer around/

Rikugun

What he said and happy to pay it forward.  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Jimustanguitar

You're more than welcome. I enjoy all things technical, and there's just something magic about motorcycles that makes them seem like the perfect machine.

Fuzzlewump

Quote from: QBS on October 14, 2013, 11:17:48 PM
What is the status of your Vs' revival?

Well, the most recent thing I've done is disassemble the top end and take a look around to see what condition everything's in. I discovered a large groove in the rear cylinder wall that is likely caused by a ring, but money and time don't permit me to address this at the moment. The bike seems to be handling it ok for now, so I'm keeping a close eye.

Otherwise I am mostly playing around with carburetor settings, with much help from Sunburned this past weekend. Going to hunt down a vacuum leak that he suggests I may have. After talking to him I feel I have a better understanding of the carbs and the Vision in general. I'm gonna start doing some heavy research on carburetion principles and try to find extensive info on Weber downdraft carbs in particular.

Several items that I've already addressed are starting to come unraveled without any obvious reason and will need to be repaired before too long. The work I have done on the bike up to this point has me prepared to fix all these things with a good deal of ease....once the wallet is ready.  ;)

On the good side...my new stator and regulator are working wonderfully for now, I've had absolutely no electrical issues since rebuilding the harness, the starter and starter clutch work seems to be holding nicely, and in spite of all the wear and tear I put on her she seems to be pushing right along like a trooper!

I'm learning to find something I want to work on and just enjoy it, and not get so frustrated over the stuff that keeps falling apart. It's an old bike that has had flaws from the day it left the factory, and it makes a great guinea pig. I'll tinker with her until I can find something pleasant to ride, and then probably hang onto her just to keep experimenting.

Know ye not that ye are a gremlin?? Thou hast no quarter here- flee now from me!!

Cdnlouie

Hey Fuzz, you have made our lives much richer by sharing your experience! Not everyone gets to be a Vision brother (and one or two sisters there too).  No money, but always a rich experience.  Reminds you of the important things in life.

Glad you enjoy your Vision!

Rick G

Glad to have helped!  I enjoy passing on the information  we have learned over the past 15 years . a great deal is useful on other bikes too ! My restoration of my VX800 was made much easier , using the information  and skills developed in bringing back many visions.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Aelwulf

I'd have to second this from when I started, although mostly from some of the older folks. ;) Glad there's newer folks to help keep this running while slackers like me disappear. :p

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)