News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Estimate of engine weight?

Started by tig5, March 19, 2014, 02:29:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tig5

Anyone got any ideas about how much a V engine might weigh? I'm looking at shipping one minus carb, fluids, radiator, flywheel and drivetrain and I'm trying to get a quote. Closest guess gets a photo of me in my undies....no wait....closest guess doesn't get a photo of me in my undies. You've all been warned  ;D

Jimustanguitar

You'd have to put it on a bathroom scale to know for sure. I've lifted them before, and there's at least a hundred pounds there, but I've never shipped one to know for sure.

fret not

You will need the total weight of the crate as well as the engine, plus the dimensions.  You weren't going to try shipping in a cardboard box were you?  Maybe a plywood box with urethane foam. 

I got a race motor from Yamaha many years ago, and it was packed in a simple crate with a plastic bag around the motor and expanding foam all round the outside of that.  Very sturdy, and the bag kept the foam off the motor yet held it firmly.

Check with various carriers for cost.  LTL freight (Less Than Truckload) may be less costly than UPS, FedEx, etc.  It pays to ask around.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

dingleberry

About 60kg I think. I may have time to weigh 400 on the bathroom scales tomorrow. Try a furniture truck wrapped in a blanket for cheap price. Probably a dozen cans to the driver.
You like, oui?

tmyth79

I shipped one, minus starter and starter clutch, just under 150lbs, including small pallet and box, 150 is the max allowed by FedEx or ups for standard ground shipping
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right, for our families and friends depend on it. Safety always comes first!

tig5

Thanks guys, thats great.

I actually found a motorcycle relocation company that has a flat rate for engines (biketranz.co.nz). They are charging $100NZD for 1000km including a boat ride which I think is pretty reasonable, and half the price of any freight/courier companies.

I bought the engine for parts a year ago. The guy that bought it said it was running and he was intending to use it in a go kart. Aside from that I know nothing about it. I have a persistent oil pressure light at hot idle and a hole in my clutch case from a reversing cager on my current engine so I'm thinking about throwing this engine in and seeing what happens. Like most XZ's it probably hasn't done a ton of kms and is most likely from a wrecked bike.

Can anyone suggest some things to do/check on the engine while its on the garage floor? Also any tips for easy reinstallation would be much appreciated.

Cheers

The Prophet of Doom

Perhaps you should consider doing the valve clearances.  And powder coating the frame :-)
Most routine things are just as easy with it in I think.

Take a look at my checklist thread.  I used 2 ratchet tie downs to raise the engine up to position.  Did it single handedly and it couldn't have been easier.  Same technique works for the exhaust.