News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

HELP!!! BRAKE LINE ISSUE

Started by drtaco, April 11, 2014, 05:37:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drtaco

if this posts twice sorry I timed out while it was downloading to web

I'm pissed here's the story-- been doing the restoration on my 83 vision rebuilt master cyl and calipers so I figured I will get new lines. I see on the board a mention of 33inch line figure that's for 82 single caliper. order off ebay from a site that has Galfer brake lines for a 83 vision 2line kit to replace 3line OEM. I finally get them and they are too short!! when hooked up they are BANJO STRING TIGHT. I mean straight from mc to caliper (just like the fork tube) on the right and almost bends the fender running to the left!! call Galfer they want pictures which I do. file a complaint with ebay and notify seller. send out pictures , seller calls immediately and says he sees it too and it ain't right will work to resolve, I say let me work with Galfer so no middleman problems. I make offer both to seller and galfer that I can use the longest line in the set 33 3/8 long on the right, i'll send small line back 30 1/4 for a swap to 35inch line. Galfer replies e-mail day later thanking me for the pics but need some with ruler and lines laid out. I tell them to look at the first three pics out of the 12 I sent, but I send them more wait another day and they email me that they reviewed their data and all their measurements are right and if I send my lines, Galfer and oem they will make new ones but I pay shipping both ways. so I call and tech says they have sold over 200 of these with no complaints sees in the photos that lines are tight can't tell me why but they are right. I was short and ended conversation
So what I am asking has anyone bought their lines and can you measure or anyone got measurements when they bought some from whom ever? They maybe treating me fair and its just me, but I don't think it is right to to purchase an item that doesn't fit paid close to 100 bucks (including shipping) and turn around sending them back and wait god only knows how long and pay shipping both ways
HELP
some reason my photos won't post to board

The Prophet of Doom

Are you sure that you have a 83?  The 82 bars are over 2 inches taller.
I happened to have an uninstalled Goodridge (UK) 2 line set sitting on my bench. In the UK they only have the 83 height handlebar risers.
The lines measure about 31.5 & 32.5 inches

drtaco

yes sir, went and verified reading the VIN number. waiting on brother-in-law to get new title. he said he bought it in the early 90s it was stock with no additions and he did not add anything. been sitting since 1999 I would think if anything the front would have sagged or compressed, not get longer? thanks for looking at what you got, your measurements are what I need to know if it is my bike. maybe there is a US bike difference? at least it looks like the 30.25 line is way to short, but 32.5 would no way reach my left caliper. there is no routing issue cuz these lines I have are PULLED STRAIGHT as possible from master cyl to caliper. if I had a 35 inch, I could go to the oem 3-way connector spot then to calipers like stock routing. how is the 31.5 and 32.5 suppose to be routed being only 1 inch different. measuring oem, if they are, (could not lay out as straight and flat as I would like so probably slightly longer than my measurements) mc to 3way-14.75in, diagonal measurement of 3way inlet port to left port-2in, both caliper lines 18.5in.

cobol74

I have an 83
Straight line distance between the master cylinder banjo fitting and the right caliper banjo fitting is 28.5 inches

It really sounds like you don't have 83 handlebars on your bike

The Prophet of Doom

US '82 is the top pic.
All other markets and US 83 is the bottom pic

drtaco

thanks cobol74 (my rightside is 28.75) and POD pictures are nice (I wish I could post my pictures, pictures are too big I guess) mine does look like the 83. before I throw in the towel that I'am the problem  :-[ . could ya'll tell me what your handle bar (clamps?) length are from the top of bolt bracket (clamps the fork) along the tank side raised stiffener to the center of handle bar(tube that master cyl clamps to). at the handle bar I have a large headed fastner that takes a small allen wrench on the inside of the clamp, this is where I took top of measurement at. I got 2 15/16in. this should tell me if they are 82 or 83 or somehow after-market. sorry to be so picky just trying to figure out whats up with this. I can't figure out why the stock clutch cable(83) fit with slack in the top fairing area and I followed the same path as old one cuz I duct taped together to pull it thru. now cobol74 have you ever ordered any brake lines? if you did were they the 2line kit? cobol74 might just prove I am stock, the reason the 30.25 is tight is the way the banjo makes the hose exit from the caliper to the clamp right above it, this helps my point of how straight line it is and tight . I was hoping to get some more input from 83 owners.

The Prophet of Doom

To post pictures, click "Attachments and other options" directly under your message text
Then select the file where it says "Attach"

cobol74

Hi, Drtaco

Were there any instructions that came with this '2 line' kit ?
      Are you sure that both lines are to be run from the master cylinder ?
      Some bikes (Triumph TT600's) run one line to the right caliper and loop another line from the right caliper over the front wheel to the left caliper.

Hope you're able to post some photos soon.

drtaco

thanks doom I did that but it kept erroring out with over byte, bit size thing :o, looked at my photos and they are 3MB+ I needed to scale down probably. hey cobol74 you might have something (maybe Galfer tech should have mentioned) the directions were general covering multiple kit configurations, I assumed (yeah ,yeah I know) thought I read where this kit was to have been the 2 lines off master cyl. maybe I call them again. but they (seller and Galfer)acknowledge receiving my pics showing lines coming off of master cyl. but even with that I would use the 33 3/8 go to the middle of forks to secure (where 3 way mounts)then to the right caliper but I am not sure the 30 1/4 line would have any thing to secure the loop going to the left caliper. did you happen to get a measurement on the handle bar clamps? I hope I didn't go to far explaining  where I measured at I may have made it more confusing.
thanks again guys

The Prophet of Doom

I'd comment further but I have the Big Arse Brembo Brakes Mod, and pushed through forks so my measurements are irrelevant to you.

drtaco

thanks doom and cobol for the help. the seller seems great at helping resolve- once this goes thru I will praise his site every chance I can. he is willing to have 2 lines custom made to my lengths and sent to me free with prepaid shipping package for old set!! NOW THATS CUSTOMER SERVICE!! I fully understand i should have got the right size to begin with but he's not the manufacture. any way i used co-ax cable as a template running it from mc to the triple tree (what galfer calls it)where the OEM three way mounted. then to calipers, giving it a bend equal to oem then into the holders to the calipers. it will be a double banjo bolt at mc . i added about a 1/2 inch to both 34in for right side, 36in for left. getting closer to putting it on the road. ;D

drtaco

got my new lines in and they fit and look great 34in and 36in. two 12degree banjo on the 34 in line. one 12degree and one 20degree (at mc) on 36in line. i'll try to post pics. double banjo on mc, banjo bolts are 10mmx 1.25. podiumsuperbike is the seller I delt with very good customer service!! and they do sell Gafler custom lines.

Rikugun

A little late to the game but maybe this will help someone's future search. This post has info on a different supplier but lists lengths for with and without splitter and references both '82 and '83 risers.

http://ridersofvision.net/rovforum/index.php?topic=11936.0
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

drtaco

rikugun did you cruze thru archives or is there another search to find things like that thread?

The Prophet of Doom

There's a trick with the quick search that is not immediately obvious.  It is specific to the place you are. 

Within a post
For example if you are reading this post and search on "brakes" you will get several hits, but all from this post.

On board pages
If you are on the board pages, a similar thing applies - if you are in techtalk, then your brakes search will only return techtalk posts on brakes

On Home page
If you click home first to view all the boards, then the same search will give you results from the entire site - there are relevant posts on multiple boards.  Most of my searchins is done from here or the advanced search

Also
You can use "double quotes" to search for an entire phrase like "big-arse brakes"
You can use - to eliminate words: brakes -rear
You can use advanced search off the menu to search for posts by a specific user / time frame etc and across only nominated boards etc

Rikugun

Quote from: drtaco on April 23, 2014, 10:16:15 PM
rikugun did you cruze thru archives or is there another search to find things like that thread?
Neither  :P I had saved that thread and forgotten about it. I stumbled upon it looking for something else but you had resolved the issue by then. I included it in the event a future search lands someone here they will also see the 2010/2011 thread.

Those are good search tips POD, thanks for sharing.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan