exhaust question

Started by drtaco, April 17, 2014, 07:47:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drtaco

while I was waiting for my new brake lines to show up, I reved up the vision a little too much. I new I had some spots in the muffler that looked weak they're not weak anymore :'( (wow vision restoration tain't cheap).I figured it has to come off whether I replace with after market or fix it. I can see where the front header pipes slip connection is, but how does the rear disconnect? can you disconnect right at collector leaving Y pipe. has anyone cut off the muffler section and welded in a new muffler if so what did you use? I believe that is what i'am going to try just trying to locate black mufflers that would blend into system.

Jimustanguitar

Hey there!

The front pipes slip fit and clamp into the muffler individually, and the rears Y into a single pipe that slips and clamps to the muffler near the center stand underneath everything. The Y on the rear cylinder uses a copper crush ring style clamp to attach to some little (like 1 or 2" little) primaries that are what actually bolts to the head.

Others have done everything from cutting off and replacing the side pipes to fabricating entirely new systems. It's all been done, it just depends on how much skill and "want to" you have.

What might surprise you about these systems is the large flat part of the muffler that all 3 of the exhaust tubes clamp to. It's not a tubular system, it's a big stamped sheet metal piece that isn't very customizer friendly.

Hope this helps, good luck!

drtaco

thanks, I guess tomorrow i'll try taking it off. i haven't laid on my arse yet to see if and how to get to that slip on at the rear stamped center piece. looking at it is like what THEY say about alcohol 'alcohol has never solved any problems', but i got news for them neither has milk!! good luck on the new place!

drtaco

damn that Y piece, thought I never get the exhaust out! got everything off,  then I cut off one muffler at weld where it goes into the stamped piece. i'll have to wait till Monday before I order  universal mufflers cuz a guy at work has an exhaust set off a 750 Kawasaki he is going to give me, maybe I can use them. I will need new gaskets, any sellers you guys like? if not I guess i'll hit partzilla for price and part# then ebay or amazon. need slip gaskets, gaskets (copper ring) for front header pipe and rings for the upper slip joints for Y pipe. it'd be nice to "one stop shop".

The Prophet of Doom

The Y pipe gaskets are no longer available. 
I ended up welding flanges on my Y pipe to get a good seal with some exhaust cement.  http://ridersofvision.net/rovforum/index.php?topic=15058.msg138223#msg138223 It worked well and made for a much more solid mount.

pullshocks

Last time I looked, Speed & Sport had the copper rings.  Best to be sitting down when you look at the price.

cvincer

I,ve never used the crush rings.   CRC manifold cement works for a while, but then cracks.   Loctite  596 'Gasket Maker' Hi Temp

Silicone has been my successful answer to a gas tight seal with my Australian exhaust set up.  As an additional measure, after

everything was in place & bolted down, I drilled a hole through the cross piece into the Y piece & put in a self tapping screw.

If I'd know about PoD's weld solution, I'd have added that to the Loctite & screw solution.   The Loctite has lasted a few years

so far.

drtaco

my apologies guys for not cruising the past posts, Yamahasportsplaza seems to have all (EXCEPT for that elusive one at the top Y clamp) at the best price so far. thanks for the help!! I may take the old ones and see what my friendly machinist buddy can do. i wonder if some copper pipe might get close? it appears these rings act like a compression (sort of swaging or ferrule) fit seal like for pipe versus a gasket style seal,if all else fails there has got to be some type of Loctite sealer ;) (no kidding)if i come up with something i'll post

tmyth79

The mufflers on mine are from a 85 Suzuki gs550e, all gaskets are available from yamaha still.
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right, for our families and friends depend on it. Safety always comes first!

drtaco

Quote from: tmyth79 on April 20, 2014, 09:21:50 AM
The mufflers on mine are from a 85 Suzuki gs550e, all gaskets are available from yamaha still.
look'in at one of the parts supplier's picture for Suzuki system you had to do some fab work to make the rear cyl pipes to work which did away with the joint in question?

tmyth79

I just used the cans, cut and welded to stock box, same with the hanger tabs.
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right, for our families and friends depend on it. Safety always comes first!

QBS

tmyth, pictures please.  Cans welded onto the collector box seems to be the most straight forward approach.

tmyth79

Here is how I did it. I am currently working on a 4-2-1 system with right side exit.

tmyth79

Rikugun

Nice work. Did you 'clearance" the megaphone for the center stand lever or was it like that from the Suzuki application?

I'm guessing the mufflers were chromed.... Any special prep for welding and which process? MIG?

What kind of paint and any special prep for going over chrome?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

tmyth79

It was already clearanced like that. They had a gloss black oxide type finish on them that I sand blasted then painted with vht 2000 degree header paint. All welds done with dc mig welder.

drtaco

cvincer you made whole new stuff took you some time I bet, ain't nuthin' wrong with that down under technology looks cool! tmyth79 nice job, looks what I plan to do I have one side cut , I've taken muffler assembly and remounted (except for rear y pipe) and have the cut off support bracket bolted back up also so I can keep geometry same, when I tack new muffler in then weld it up going to try my new flux core mig, if it don't work I have a tig rig just need to get some CO2 . but this still does not resolve the compression copper seals on top of the Y pipe.

tmyth79

Are you looking for the 2 rings under the capture clamps where the Y meets the head adapters? If so you can reuse them if you use a sealer called acoustiseal, it's available at NAPA auto parts stores, used that on mine 2 years and 5k miles ago and still no leaks.

drtaco

yes sir those are the ones, i'll check napa by the way where did you get that paint from and since you sand blasted I guess its not gloss black? flat? my buddy didn't show up with the pipes today

tmyth79

I got the paint from advance auto parts, and no it's not gloss, flattest black I could find. I will post the part# for the sealer when I get to work.