Quick question regarding regulator wiring.

Started by johnclemens, December 27, 2012, 10:45:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnclemens

I'm getting ready to wire up my project . Anyone know what the extra wires on the regulator/rectifier are for?
They are not listed on the schematics.
The red and black are listed, but not the others.
I'm pretty sure I can just leave them unconnected but was hoping someone could trace them on they're bike and see where they go.
Thanks!

QBS

Brown wire senses battery/system voltage so as to tell the rr to send more electrons to the battery when needed.  It needs to be wired as close as possible to the battery positive post to get the most accurate picture of battery voltage.  Thanks for keeping us up to speed regarding your project.  Cheers & Happy New Year.

Rikugun

I'm not so sure the battery sensing wire should be close to the battery. The brown is indeed system power but is fused and after the key switch thus the system load has been accounted for. Brown is sensing what is left after (at minimum) the head light, tail light and ignition have been taken out of the available power. The yellow wire is not used.  :)

That seems to be a simplified wiring diagram and I'm guessing not from the factory service manual?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Re-Vision

John. I traced the brown wire about a foot down the harness and it is spliced into a large brown wire which in turn runs to the 10A Fuse Signal in the Fuse box. Red wire goes to 30A Main Fuse, Black wire runs to Frame Ground Lug. I've checked four harnesses and none have a Yellow wire (Yellow wire from R/R ends at connector).     BDC

johnclemens

Quote from: Re-Vision on December 27, 2012, 01:59:10 PM
John. I traced the brown wire about a foot down the harness and it is spliced into a large brown wire which in turn runs to the 10A Fuse Signal in the Fuse box. Red wire goes to 30A Main Fuse, Black wire runs to Frame Ground Lug. I've checked four harnesses and none have a Yellow wire.     BDC

That is from the factory XZ550 service manual.
It has no mention of the other two wires anywhere.

If you look at the drawing on the site its the same as mine.
http://ridersofvision.net/Technical/Wiring/wiring.html

It shows the black wire connected to the brown coming off of the switch. (not the ground).
hmmm.

Re-Vision

Here is what I think has happened, the wire labeled B should have been labeled Br and the chassis Ground is not labeled because it's understood that chassis ground is normally black. The B wire just got mislabeled and colored wrong, it should have been Br.    BDC

Rikugun

Was that the "XZ550RJ Circuit Diagram" from section 7 of the manual? That is one of several simplified diagrams in that section and I'm unsure why the brown is not shown. Are you not using the original harness? If you were I suppose you'd plug it in where it belongs and not be asking... :D

I'd connect the Black to battery negative post, Red to battery positive post, brown to a system power wire -  keyed/fused w/some load i.e. ignition and lights. The yellow although part of the R/R plug, has no corresponding yellow on the factory harness. Perhaps it's used on other models but not the Vision.

here's a part of the full wiring schematic... You can see the yellow is not shown but brown is. It goes up to a T connection. The section towards the left is the system power trunk coming from the key switch and powered to the switch via the main fuse and red wire. The other brown leg branches on to power the other fuses etc.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

johnclemens

Quote from: Rikugun on December 27, 2012, 07:00:36 PM
Was that the "XZ550RJ Circuit Diagram" from section 7 of the manual? That is one of several simplified diagrams in that section and I'm unsure why the brown is not shown. Are you not using the original harness? If you were I suppose you'd plug it in where it belongs and not be asking... :D

I'd connect the Black to battery negative post, Red to battery positive post, brown to a system power wire -  keyed/fused w/some load i.e. ignition and lights. The yellow although part of the R/R plug, has no corresponding yellow on the factory harness. Perhaps it's used on other models but not the Vision.

here's a part of the full wiring schematic... You can see the yellow is not shown but brown is. It goes up to a T connection. The section towards the left is the system power trunk coming from the key switch and powered to the switch via the main fuse and red wire. The other brown leg branches on to power the other fuses etc.

Ahh that's the drawing I needed!
Now I get it. My manual is missing parts of it.
I am not using the factory wiring harness. I am using a custom setup that has no relays at all. It uses a digital controller for everything. It very slick and totally programmable.
It's called an m-unit by motogadget.

http://www.spieglerusa.com/gauges-instruments/motogadget/m-gadgets/m-unit.html

When I get it sorted I'll post the info.
Thanks Rikugun!

Re-Vision

That Motogadget thingie is pretty cool. For your information, the only Yellow wire existing on the ass-end of the stock harness is the one going to the brake lights.     BDC

PS Another blunder on my part. Even though I traced out the correct wires from the R/R unit, I failed to realize that the Yellow wire you spoke of is from the R/R unit. The Yellow wire has no connection to anything in the harness.

Pps Going in for some stents tomorrow, maybe I'll then get enough oxygen for my brain to start working again. LOL I hope.

johnclemens

Quote from: Re-Vision on December 27, 2012, 08:34:22 PM
That Motogadget thingie is pretty cool. For your information, the only Yellow wire existing on the ass-end of the stock harness is the one going to the brake lights.     BDC

PS Another blunder on my part. Even though I traced out the correct wires from the R/R unit, I failed to realize that the Yellow wire you spoke of is from the R/R unit. The Yellow wire has no connection to anything in the harness.

Pps Going in for some stents tomorrow, maybe I'll then get enough oxygen for my brain to start working again. LOL I hope.

Thanks for the info. Hope everything goes smooth for you tomorrow.

fret not

Bobby, I'm sure I speak for all here, we wish you well, and smooth sailing tomorrow!  I hope it is a routine event and you are back on your feet immediately. 
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Rikugun

Bobby, you'll do great and feel even better when it's over.  :)

John, glad the diagram helped and looking forward to hearing more.  :D

arnie

anyone have a pic of the wiring for a regulator rectifier? my build came in a mess and I have an original 1982 harness but the reg/rectifier  is suspect. maybe not the right one . or where it plugs in. thanks

fret not

Use care when plugging connections together, as some will fit where they are not supposed to go and can cause damage.  Don't mix up the TCI unit and RR plugs for example.  If in doubt check a wiring diagram for colors of the wires and where they go.

The 3 "white" (yellowish) wires from the stator go to the 3 wires into the RR unit.  Their order is not supposed to matter.  From the RR unit the red goes to battery POS, and black or green goes to battery NEG.  These are 3 phase charging systems and very common among motorcycles everywhere, though not all motorcycles use it.  A RR unit from any other 3 phase system should work, though wire colors may be different.

Check your RR unit with a meter to make sure it works, otherwise get a modern MOSFET unit like on so many newer bikes.  They run significantly cooler than the original unit and may help prolong the life of the stator.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Re-Vision

The large picture (004.jpg) shows the connectors as they should be. The two connectors in the other picture are identical and should not be switched. The 4 pin connector from the R/R Unit going to the TCI Unit has 3 wires (Red,Blk,and Wht). The 4 pin connector from the harness has 3 wires (Red,Blk,and Brn), these Red and Blk wires have a larger gauge.     BDC

arnie

thanks for the pic's and the help .  muchly appreciated. I  should have this thing together near the end of the month . cheers