News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

The Skudge Report

Started by pullshocks, April 21, 2014, 12:26:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pullshocks

Well, after the float level work the V ran great in the driveway,  but out on the road, idle behavior was very erratic.  Wide open throttle and highway speeds were fine but anything lower was pretty jerky and engine would die if I let the rpm go below 2k.  To top it off, fuel was pouring down the overflow tube when I got home, which I now know means crud getting  in the float valve.

Sure enough, there was Skudge in the fuel pump and some in the carbs, though the jets were not blocked.

Most interesting was the front carb had little globules (presumably water) at the bottom

I must admit I failed to add any fuel additives last fall.....needless to say I am off to buy some Stabil or Star Tron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fret not

Maybe a better fuel filter would be a good idea too. ;)
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Rikugun

From your description, it sounds like the slow speed circuits are not clean. Additives and filters may not be aggressive enough. I'd want to get all the sludge and water out of the tank and really assess it's condition. Has the tank ever been etched and lined? If not, it may be time. Debris in the petcock screen and around the outlet opening can be very telling as to tank condition.

Collect the fuel into a can and let it settle. Do a slow pour off the top into another container to salvage the good and see what's left behind. Is the debris ferrous for instance? How much water?

Do ever fill the tank at home from cans or always at filling stations? Is the bike garaged or exposed to rain?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

pullshocks

Fret and Rik thanks.  By Skudge, I mean congealed fuel, that forms when it sits too long in the fuel system. 

I will check the fuel in my tank (which is POR 15 lined) but I believe this is from fuel that sat in the pump and bowls over the winter. It has a gummy, gel-like appearance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rikugun

OK, thanks for the clarification.  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

pullshocks

Yep, carb and fuel pump clean did the trick.  All the work with the floats seems to have paid off.  I used to see a little fuel in the overflow hoses from time to time.  None today.

Running great.  Maybe even great enough to try hooking up the YICS box, which has been off for a long time.