1982 overflow tubes broken. Leaking gas!

Started by 1982vision, May 12, 2014, 01:52:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1982vision

Hey guys. I'm new here but I am excited to talk with some of you and maybe solve a few problems.
I bought a 1982 vision a little while back and there is only two problems I cant get worked out so I figure the best place to ask about them would be here. The first is the carb overflow. The plastic nipples that come out and connect to the clear plastic tube are broken and when it sits it leaks a little fuel. I would appreciate any ideas on how to properly fix the problem. Also it has a small amount of stumble at low rpms I would assume it is just the vision stumble but any ideas would also help on that.
Thank you very much

dingleberry

Not experienced enough to help you but welcome to the forum. Where are you located?
You like, oui?

fret not

You can repair the plastic vent pieces with brass tubing available from hobby stores. 

The actual leaking is probably due to worn float valve needles and seats or debris in the valve holding it open.  Also a possibility is improper float level.  Welcome to the Process.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

QBS

Welcome to the group.  If not already done, you may want to consider installing an in-line fuel filter.  J-B Weld could prove very helpful with your brass fitting installation.

1982vision

Thanks for all the replys. I am located in northeast Tennessee. Also the brass fittings sound like a great idea is there any way you could tell me what size I would need? Also I have been planning on putting a in line filter on it but haven't gotten to that just yet but thanks for the tip! Thanks in advance for all the help

pinholenz

Welcome to the Forum.

I have had to rebuild a couple of these nylon overflow connectors.  Some brass tube from a hobby store to fit the overflow tube, a drill bit with the same OD as the brass tube and a drill bit with the same ID as the brass tube, plus some epoxy resin and patience is all you need.

On my bike I found that the floats were OK, but that the float bowl drain screw wasn't seated properly. They needed new "o" rings of the right size and overflow problem was solved. Good luck. Tis will be the most frustrating and rewarding bike you will own.
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550