It might not be too hard to reproduce winshields..

Started by Lucky, August 19, 2003, 07:47:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

As I dig deeper into this I'm learning more about molding lexan.  One process I've read about is simply sandwiching a sheet of lexanbetween 2 molds and heating it in an oven till it softens enough to take the shape of the mold.

What I'm thinking is that the OEM windshields seem to be made of plexiglass, which I think, melts at a higher tempurature than lexan.  if this is true, then sandwiching a piece of lexan between 2 pieces of oem windshield should work.

As I understand it, the molds are covered with felt to prevent scratching while the lexan takes shape, and the upper mold is weighted to insure proper shape of the finished product.

I think if I could get ahold of a second OEM windshield to use as 1/2 of the mold, (I have one now) then all I'd need is to find an oven large enough to do the task.  (buy a windshield, get a free peperoni pizza?) I'm sure different thicknesses would melt at different temps, lexan is a GE product, and the'd probably have that info.

another thought is that the molds should probably be "filled", with wood or some other material that could easily witstand oven temps & poss improve heat transfer to the lexan to speed the job (would a place with a large oven charge by the hour?) this would make them more durable, plus eliminate the possability that the OEM windshield would change shape after repeated use.  

anyone have an old windshield kicking around in case I decied to persue this further?

Anyone good enough at wood working to make a mold (2 halves)?

these at least at first, these wouldn't be as fancy as Humbers, but might be a cheap & quick alternative...
What Think Yee?

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

rick_nowak

a plaster casting will do the job nicely.  a metal(sheet) mould box for both sides, a pizza oven, and the right shape cut out of acrilic and you have the basics.  i have done some sheet plastic moulding in a former life (architectural model making) and it doesn't need to get too hot-about 300f i think.  this can be done with a heat gun, a receiving mould, and a wad of rag.  experimenting is the order of the day.  there will be in providence some plastic seller like Cadilac Plastics who will have offcuts of the exact stuff you will want to use for the finished windshield priced by the pound.  experiment with this.
leave the covering paper on.  once the plastic is hot enough but not melted/overheated you have a few seconds of working time.  it goes better with two people.
enjoy
enjoy your day