News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Help - 'simple' exchange of camshafts possible?

Started by mephiston, April 24, 2014, 10:48:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QBS

Wrap the threads of the bolt that goes into the air bleed hole of your new aluminium sensor assembly in teflon tape.  That  bolt will easily unscrew next time out.

b_racuda

I took the cams out and they were 50hp versions. Valve clearances are quite there, only in intake they are bit too close. Have to find the right shims somewhere to correct them.

I don't wonder why there was a feeling that some power is missing, 64hp carburetors, 50hp cams, weak spar because the stator was nearly dead and YICS was leaking.

b_racuda

I noticed new difference between 50hp and 64hp versions. The rubber fittings under carburetors are not the same. In 50hp version it is much smaller than in 64hp. So it is choked also from the fittings in low power model.

fret not

How well do your fittings match up on the inside with the cylinder head intake passage?  Is there a need to grind some material away to make the passages from the carbs into the heads smoother and larger?
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

b_racuda

Fittings match up perfect, so the intakes in cylinders are the same in both versions. Only rubber fittings are different.

fret not

My question needs clarification.  If you install carb fittings (boots, manifolds, etc.) for the high power carbs will the openings in the cylinder head then need some removal of material to make them comply with the new boots, fittings, manifolds?  It would be nice if the heads are the same part for both models.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

The Prophet of Doom

b_racuda

One more thing,  in low power model, outside rubber fittings is marking 37kW, so you don't have to remove carbs to see which version of fittings you have.

Rikugun

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

b_racuda

I did finish my repair works. It started and the idle was steady. Tomorrow to the test drive.