News:

Main Menu

Vapor speedo? or other options?

Started by 1982vision, July 08, 2014, 10:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1982vision

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on a replacement speedo. The stock one's needle broke off and makes a horrible grinding noise. I have herd that there is a vapor electronic speedo and tach that will work but I am not sure which ones or other options that will fix the problem.

Also what type of round headlight conversion will work on this bike? Thanks in advanced for the help.

fret not

The vapor units are sometimes difficult to read, especially when in bright sunlight and when hot.  My brother tried one for his salt flats rig but found it nearly useless in the bright sun.

As for round headlights, just get one and bolt it on.  There are lots of round headlights in the dismantler's yards.  Probably best to get one with a large nacell (headlight bucket) so your wiring will fit inside.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

The Prophet of Doom

I have a Motogadget mini speedo/tach.  Very very very nice, but not such a nice price.  There are heaps of chinese display units on ebay - most should work if they have mechanical speedo and electric RPM - Yamahas are fairly standard I think.  For most you will need to get inventive with the water temp gauge if you still want one.

To fit easily you will want a 7" round headlight with side mounts else you will need spacers or new brackets.  7" graze the horn cover though and you may want to get your ears raised up by cutting and welding or using fork tube clamps.  Smaller lights like 5-6" I think look a bit silly.

1982vision

Thanks for all the replies. i will have to do a little more research on the speedo subject. could anyone tell me what the speedo ratio is on an 82? is it 1:1 1:2 or 2240:60? thanks in advance

per_w_aberg

Bicycle LCD speedos are very popular on moto bikes and the type now come in forms for motorcycles, look at enduro bike sites. You'll need a magnet on the wheel for the sensor and it should not set you back much. I think there are back lit ones to. Here it's illegal to not have the stock speedo. Thera are also nice speedo apps for iphone that uses GPS.

RedBaron

Quote from: 1982vision on July 08, 2014, 10:32:42 PM
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on a replacement speedo. The stock one's needle broke off and makes a horrible grinding noise. I have herd that there is a vapor electronic speedo and tach that will work but I am not sure which ones or other options that will fix the problem.

Also what type of round headlight conversion will work on this bike? Thanks in advanced for the help.

I have a new one.
She is a slim and beautiful 82, so true, black and white and red all over!

The Prophet of Doom

The law here says you have to have stock speedo unless you can demonstrate that it's no longer available from the manufacturer

CH3NO2

I just retrofitted with a Vapor that I bought 2 years ago and never got around to installing until now. Here's how it looks. I don't know how it will react to the sun yet but LCD's do wash out sometimes in direct sunlight. The original speedo still works underneath. I replaced the glass with lexan painted black and slotted it above the odometer. Removing the little rubber cover to the left of the Vapor reveals the correct mileage for when I need to get my state inspection.

CH3NO2

Here's another pic. The first one I posted looks really dark.