DIY Windshield, Redux

Started by Lucky, August 14, 2003, 08:04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

Well, i've been working on my fairing, little by little, & today I decieded to tackel the windshield.  I have a place near me Modern Plastics, http://www.modernpalstics.com that has the windshield lexan, so I picked up a piece, 20" x 20" .090" (I specified 3/32 which I THOUGHT was .080) for $18.  I wanted tinted, but they only had that for thicker pieces. clear is fine though.

I had made my last one out of Plexi since I didn't know any better, & it cracked.  I used it for a pattern, & cut it with a 1" rise at the top to use for a flip up.

It came out pretty close, but I had forgotten that I had cut the old one out a little wrong, & since I used it for a pattern the new one is a little bit off too, but not really noticable.  tomorrow I'll clamp (sandwich) the windshield between 4 pieces of wood & bend up the flip. we'll see how that comes out.

I'm going to go back to modern & pick up another piece .060" thick (or whatever the next thinnest size is) & do it again using the (yellowed) stock windshield on my other V as a pattern for the bottom, so I know it's right.  It should be easier to fit & bend as well since it'll be a bit thinner.

I'll let you know how it comes out.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Lucky

I called Modern plastics today & found out that the next thinnest thickness (is that an oxymoron?) is 1/16.  Since 3/32 is what I was told is stock (my stock one is inacessable at the moment) but really still seems too thick, I'm going to try thw 1/16th next. Think that's too thin?
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Walt_M.

Might have a cracking problem there, around the mounting screws. Did anyone try for the fairing on ebay? I think it topped at $75 and did not meet the reserve. I stopped at $35 as mine is still in good? shape. The guy seems willing to negotiate, he said he would take $75 plus $175 shipping for the engine. I offered him $150 total. Let you know what happens.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Rick G

Lucky , the windshield that came with my fairing was a Clearview , and i believe it was 3/32 ,  I later bought a Gaustaufson, from Vision Vince ,  it was much thinner , around 1/16 . I ended up breaking it but not because it was too thin , it took a pretty good wallop  and I think any of them would have failed
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike