News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

yics?

Started by Buffo, April 16, 2005, 05:47:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffo

by reading the posts i beleive that there are 2 hoses that go to the yics. am i correct on this assumption?
on mine the bottom most port is connected to a hose but the other is pluged with what looked to me to be a plug that was supposed to be there.
...looked to me because
a. i never seen a yics system before
b. it really looks like it belongs there

i once saw a post that described how to tell if your yics was bad but now i cant seam to find it. could someone point me in the right direction? it had to do with blowing in the yics..i think :-/

Wayne

Buffo-Back to page 2 at the bottom of this forum and read post by 'Fiddlesticks' titled "Black Sooty Smoke Big Time". You will get a idea what your dealing with and a opinion from both sides of table. My YICS is removed and I would not have another one on my bike, but there are some pros out their who will not agree, so take your pick. (Read that post)

Wayne

Buffo-My apology. The post you want to read is "RPM Better But Whats the Smoke" Same page. (I gotta burn all this on disc and get rid of all this notes hanging  on wall. I am not even sure which one I am reading anymore)

ProfessorRex

I can say that my bike ran better with a leaky YICS than with no YICS.  Look around and I'm sure you can find pictures of how it's supposed to look, or PM me, and I'll give you my phone number and I'll tlak you through the whole thing.  OR because I've got long-distance and unlimited mins on weekends, PM me your number and when to call, and I'll call you tomorro.

-Rex
Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

silicon_toad2000

both ports in the yics should be connected to a port on the head (same place on each head)
One mans clunker is another mans blank canvas.

Lucky

If one of the ports are broken off the YICS the material is soft enough that you can pick up a brass hose barb fitting at the auto parts store & replace it.  you might want to put a little epoxy around the threads too. it did this on my first YICS & it worked like a charm.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Wayne

Lucky-This YICS thing is very interesting. I do not know if I am running YICS or not. The bike originaly ran rough. The YICS was bad. Not wanting to use it and not wanting to modify Yamaha basics, I thought up a home made compromise.I have a half inch ID high pressure hose 4" long with the small screw type radiator clamps on ports on engine, and same size short bolt with large head blocking the open end of hose with clamps tighten very tight to prevent air leakage. The hose's are simply laying between the cly. The bike started immediately and has no running problems. Now the question I have, is the 4" long 1/2" inner hose diameter serving the same purpose as the YICS are did I just get lucky.You can see the hose's throbbing as the bike runs. I have no idea what the cc displacement on the ID of hoses are, but it sure works well on this bike. I think that is why I love the Vision, it is a real challenge. I have 2000 R1 sitting next to it, and I am spending hours and hours fooling with the Vision. O-well, guess it takes all kinds-Wayne

Lucky

I honestly don'r know the Volume, someone hewre does though. there are 2 schools of thought in it. one says it's not needed, the other is don't run without it.  the theroy behind the YICS is sound, & proven on other viehicles. I personnaly agree with it's use.

i think your idea is good. others have just hooked a straight hose between the 2 head ports. I believe this common joining of the intakes ('cause that's what they're doing) in a small way inturupts smooth flow if the mixture into the cylinders.  just the opposite of what the YICS is designed to do.

Now, I see nothing wrong with connecting the 2 cylinders, if there is a bearing in the center of the hose, similar to what you've done. in fact, if your going to do that, get a nice piece of Steel braided line & some fancy ends.

my .02

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

ProfessorRex

Each chamber of the YICS is roughly 70cc's or 2.3oz's any chamber with a volume close to this will work perfectly (good luck finding one, I've been looking!)
Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

Superfly

I found a YICS off of another model Yamaha.. (Virago?) and it had more volume, and the bike runs great, exactly the same as one with smaller volume.  I really do not think that the volume matters too much.  also, it was made of a hard plastic, not the flexable plastic we have on ours.
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Wayne

Darn it Superfly, Just when I thought I had made my last go round to local bike grave yards, now I have to check out Viragos.