News:

Main Menu

New(er) bike suggestions

Started by Kiwi, July 22, 2014, 02:20:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiwi

It's been ahwile since i have been on here, primarily due to electrical gremlins on my vision that i have not gotten around to fixing.
I'm moving to a new house and my commute is getting longer.  At 13mpg, my Jeep is not the best for a longer commute.
I cant rely on the Vision, so what should i look at getting?
I'm looking for a bike that is going to be fun, not too expensive and reliable.
I dont really like the sport bike style, something inbetween a vision and a cruiser would be nice.
Suggestions?
US 82 XZ550 with the flapper Airbox

Jimustanguitar

The Yamaha FJR1300's are quite nice.

drtaco

I know it may be different than a vision or crusier how about adventure bike style? I hadn't been on a motorcycle for some years' first bike was late 70's maybe 80 Yamaha 650 special II loved it, rode it for about 5 years, anyway, when I started back in 3.5 years ago, I was lookin for gas mileage got a dr200se (called a Trojan 'down there' I think) man It is great fun. did some gear changes running 14/39 (16/45 was better all around). it'll do 70mph loves 55to 60 mph (30 mile round trip to work at those speeds) so light and you are RIDING not driving :) only problem was about a month ago started leaking slight oil at bottom of cylinder. dropped motor took it to my local trusted shop to have them look at it all it needs is a gasket mechanic said for a bike that small running at 6,000 to 7,000 rpm all the time valves, cylinder, piston and rings were in excellent shape (13,000miles). so in summary :P vision was free I hope i'll like it, no matter what though I don't think i'll ever get rid of the DR.
P.S the only things you get for free usually is a bunch of crap or advise, and sometimes it's hard to tell the difference  ;D

fret not

Suzuki SV650, Kawasaki KLR650, Suzuki DR650, Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, or for slightly older how about Honda XL600V Trans Alp.  Singles seem to get better fuel economy.  google "high fuel economy motorcycles".
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

dingleberry

Get yer bum on a late model Triumph Bonneville.
You like, oui?

Tiger

Stay with Yamaha...and pick up an FJ1100/1200.

Reliable, comfortable and fast :o  ;D ;D ;D... 8)

Tiger.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

dingleberry

A big bike like the FJ1100/1200 may not be your most economical commuter. I would second the V-Strom as its a very comfortable and versatile bike. (If you don't like a Bonny..)
You like, oui?

Kiwi

All good suggestions.  I like the Bonneville... nice style.
The FJ's are cool, but i worry about relability at that age.   Plus they seem to command a premium in $ ( why buy a 80's bike when ic an get something much newer for not much more.)
Used motorcycle prices baffle meat times.

Porbably not practical, but i like the look of the Yamaha Bolt alot...

Rikugun

I was unaware of the Bolt - looks pretty good although a more practical commuter could be found. Especially like the fuel injection and belt drive. It probably is designed to compete with another manufacturer's model but I can't quite figure out which one....

You didn't mention a displacement or cost or MPG range you were looking for. Do you need luggage to be included or readily adaptable?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Kiwi

The bolt appears to be designed to compete with the Harley Sportster.
As far as fuel injection and belt - is that a plus or a negative?

No specific MPG requirements, just something better than my 13mpg jeep :), but higher MPG is preferable.
No specific displacement, but something at least as fast as a Vision.
Luggage - Typically a back pack is all i would need, the bike would be primarily for commuting and running errands (if it's something big i'll just take the Jeep).  On the Vision i would strap my backpack onto the plastic bit behind the seat.

Cost - I will most likely be going through a dealer, so financing is an option.  Ball park of $8k or less.
If it's older and i'm going with a private seller, probably closer to $1500 ( or less ).

Rikugun

QuoteAs far as fuel injection and belt - is that a plus or a negative?
huge plus

My suggestion is the Honda Nc700X - Fits your $ range, 64MPG, lots of torque available from idle on up, storage built in for errands and such.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

supervision

The fz-07 is less than 8 out the door. It will need a screen, maybe softer seat, The bike was call MT-07 in can, eur there are tons of stuff on youtube
" border="0

Kiwi

I'm definately going to check out that Honda, seems like the seating might be simialr to the vision.
I dont like i bike that my belly is going to be sitting on the gas tank.

RedBaron

A dealer in Frankin Tn has a black CB1100 for just over 9k.

Like this one in my garage.

Like CB750s of old, notice the four cylinders, the sexy tank, cool dual horns ah la 70s and of course the dual meters with 70s green dial background. The hydraulic clutch, oil cooler and computerized fuel injection and computerized fuel guage just like the 750, oops...that's not so retro. But she sounds and runs just like a 750, except a little bigger, a little better painted and that engine is painted like no 750 I ever saw. But it is a big 750, make no mistake about it.

So, perhaps it is time to give that XZ a rest and get these CBs while they are available and cheap(ish) or buy my NOS parts and make your XZ new again for cheaper, much cheaper, cause the XZ is cool too and as a friend of mine has said, all bikes are cool but some are cooler than others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVMaMXianHM
She is a slim and beautiful 82, so true, black and white and red all over!

dingleberry

What have you decided on? Test ridden?
You like, oui?

drtaco

Quote from: Kiwi on July 25, 2014, 11:12:45 AM

No specific MPG requirements, just something better than my 13mpg jeep :), but higher MPG is preferable.
Luggage - Typically a back pack is all i would need, the bike would be primarily for commuting and running errands (if it's something big i'll just take the Jeep).  On the Vision i would strap my backpack onto the plastic bit behind the seat.

Cost - I will most likely be going through a dealer, so financing is an option.  Ball park of $8k or less.
If it's older and i'm going with a private seller, probably closer to $1500 ( or less ).

be careful of test rides!! after much disappointment with trying to get vision right and carb problems with the dr (resulting in new carb being ordered) my wife teased about stopping in Harley dealer, down from the shop  I dropped vision at. sales guy started pushing to do test rides one used 2new right off the show room floor! I tried to use self control but between the wife and salesman, as of 8/15/14  I now own a 2014 Sportster XL883N Iron (from1 mile on odmeter to 164 this morning). I wonder if I would have hit Yamaha dealer first, and they pushed test rides, if I would of wound up with a Bolt or an FZ 09 or 07. the world will never know :D maybe more dealers should try giving test drives like car dealers and Harley dealers.

Rikugun

That FZ=07 is getting some pretty good reviews  8)

RedBaron

Quote from: drtaco on August 17, 2014, 11:27:20 AM
Quote from: Kiwi on July 25, 2014, 11:12:45 AM

be careful of test rides!! after much disappointment with trying to get vision right and carb problems with the dr (resulting in new carb being ordered) my wife teased about stopping in Harley dealer, down from the shop  I dropped vision at. sales guy started pushing to do test rides one used 2new right off the show room floor! I tried to use self control but between the wife and salesman, as of 8/15/14  I now own a 2014 Sportster XL883N Iron (from1 mile on odmeter to 164 this morning). I wonder if I would have hit Yamaha dealer first, and they pushed test rides, if I would of wound up with a Bolt or an FZ 09 or 07. the world will never know :D maybe more dealers should try giving test drives like car dealers and Harley dealers.

Hee hee, good choice. One you get the wife's ok it's hard to resist all the new paint and chrome. I think you got the one for you since you obviously are happy with it.
She is a slim and beautiful 82, so true, black and white and red all over!