News:

Main Menu

Was running...Now Not

Started by Bill, August 13, 2014, 06:04:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill

Very recent starter rebuild. petcock rebuild, starter button  and hi/low switch refurbish, stator, r&r, new jets and carb clean out.  Was running a little rough at idle.  Took carbs off and cleaned additionally, and now nothing.  Will not fire even with starting fluid.  Fuel is spraying into the venturi.  Acts like it is fuel starved (I don't think so... there is fuel in the bowls) or not getting spark.  Pulled rear plug and spark is present.  Had one really loud backfire.  Battery is new and charged.  At wits end...again.  Any suggestions?

Bill

OK. It's running again.  Believe me, I don't post here for the fun of it.  This problem has me stumped.  I read in this forum about another guy who was having starting problems.  He changed his plugs and "it started right up".  I thought WTH and put in a set of old plugs I had kept "just in case".  Guess what?  It started right up.  I went out and ran it up to 6500 rpm.  I had to remind myself that I'm old and so is the bike.  The plugs I replaced were less than 4 months old and I had cleaned and gapped recently.  I had pulled them twice to dry them, due to the non-start issues and they were definitely wet.  Fuel soaked?  Gremlins?  Vision funk?  What do you think?  My wife thinks I'm crazy for messing with this bike so much.  I can't help myself.

QBS

Spark plug caps with new wires would eliminate a potential source of the gremlin.  All things considered, cost shouldn't be too great.

fret not

Motoracer has stated it pretty well, that the XZ550 has a cheap and weak ignition system.  It doesn't take much to put a wrench into the monkey works in this regard.  So it is important for each part of the ignition system to be up to par: coils, spark plugs, leads and caps, battery, wiring, charging system, etc.  It is the idea that a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.  Oh yeah, the carbs have to be in good condition too.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

§pace_§uitor

Hey Bill! 

Did you ever get your problem fixed?  Mine is doing the same!
"I will sit right down
Drifting into my solitude over my head,
Waiting for the gift of sound and vision..."
-D. Bowie

fret not

Remember the "holy trinity"; compression, fuel, and spark.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Walt_M.

Don't forget the Vision part of the equation, the ignition will not fire below 10.6 volts. The starter will still crank the engine but it won't fire the plugs. I know someone said they pulled a plug and saw a spark but don't forget it is easier to crank the engine with a plug out. Keep your battery charged and things will go better.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Rikugun

Quote from: Walt_M. on November 10, 2016, 05:31:22 AM
... I know someone said they pulled a plug and saw a spark but don't forget it is easier to crank the engine with a plug out.
And it's easier for the pixies to dance across the gap when not subjected to the forces of compression.  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

davecut

Hey rikugun what sort of medication are you on pixies dancing. My engine wont fire i guess i havnt
put enough pixie dust in my tank.????

pinholenz

Regrettfully there is no substitute for changing out the plugs, leads and plug caps. I have fitted Iridium plugs and they have been brilliant.

If for some reason the starter is drawing too much power, (or the battery is tired) the TCI will not ignite the plugs. To test this, from a car battery run the negative terminal to the frame and touch the positive terminal to the starter connection with the ignition turned on. She will crank over without drawing from the bike battery and should fire up. If it starts OK, and you are sure the starter is fine, try replacing the feed wire from the starter solenoid to the starter with a new, heavier guage feed wire that has properly soldered terminals.

This, and the plug refurb solved my starting issues. Now it is full choke from cold, one only twist of the throttle and crank. Starts every time from the key. (Make sure your lights are off though)
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550

The Prophet of Doom

+1 for new battery leads, +2 for new plugs, leads and plug caps, +3 for iridium plugs