Newbie Alert!

Started by NewbieVRider, August 14, 2014, 01:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NewbieVRider

Thanks to your friend (and now mine) - Tiger - I have come to see the ROV site, and obtain the wisdom of those that have come before me.  New to the Vision world, I bought one for my 17 year old son, and with all the luck, will have it running and certified soon. 

I am a long time rider (first a Kawi KZ440 LTD, then a Suzuki S40 and since 2006 a Honda Shadow ACE 750), with some mechanical expertise, but will be looking to the group to assist in the Vision aspects of the bike.  If I can touch ground on it, I will take the Vision out myself some days (touching ground may be difficult for my 27" inseam, but gotta try it!).

I am so glad I was introduced to Tiger, as he is an absolutely invaluable resource! 
'82 XZ550
'03 Shadow ACE 750 - Big O - Candy Orange Motif
'12 GSX1250FA SE - Jessica - Metallic Alba Blue
'87 Kawasaki GPZ 305 (my son's bike)

QBS

Yes.  Tiger is a most excellent Vnary.  Your enseam shouldn't be a problem.  Welcome to the group.  Is Tiger readily available to you?

NewbieVRider

Luckily, I have access to Tiger and his vast amount of knowledge.  I did sit on the bike today, and I can touch ground. 
'82 XZ550

QBS

Please tell us about the bike and how you came to acquire it.

NewbieVRider

I was on Kijiji a couple of springs ago, and came across the Vision.  Went to look at it, and really liked the design, etc., but it didn't run.  I probably paid too much for it ($700) at the time, but didn't know any better and thought it would be a good project for my son and I.  As it turned out, it was a little more complex than I had thought it would be, so I enlisted a friend of mine to assist in getting it going.  We brought it to his place almost a year ago, and he couldn't get it running.  To be fair, he is a younger guy (just turned 166), without the experience in Visions, and has worked mainly on newer bikes.

On Monday, I went in to Rosey Toes, and he put me in contact with Tiger.  Tiger's passion for the bike has really shone trhough, and has me excited to give this bike a whirl when it is running.  Gonna need some work before it is going (fork seals, head bearings, front brakes and the starting issue needs to be resolved, but the motor turns over). 

No interesting stories about how I fell in love with the bike many years ago, but I hope to fall in love with the bike as we breath new life into it.

'82 XZ550

Rikugun

It's never too late to fall I love with a Vision.  ;) Welcome aboard and good luck with the new ride.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Tiger

This old girl, who I have worked on before :o ;D , now resides in my shop, waiting to have some lovin' put back in to her. She will, once again, awaken to a new dawn...very soon ;)

8) ....... TIGER .......  8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Rikugun

You certainly have brought quite a few Visions back to the realm of the living. Many more you never touched have benefited by their owners gleaning information shared by you. This community owes you quite a debt of gratitude. Well done sir.  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Tiger

Quote from: Rikugun on August 27, 2014, 08:40:10 AM
You certainly have brought quite a few Visions back to the realm of the living. Many more you never touched have benefited by their owners gleaning information shared by you. This community owes you quite a debt of gratitude. Well done sir.  :)

Thank you...22 of these quirky wee Vision's rebuilt and put back on the roads in total!! A lot of fun for me and the owners... 8)

I am only to pleased to give back, where I can, be it knowledge, parts and/or a pair of hands.

I knew veeeeery little about my Vision when I acquired her several years ago. This forum and its members helped me tons, therefore no debt of gratitude needed but I certainly appreciate the kind words.

Tiger.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

Tiger

This old girl now sits on my lift...with out her front end :o ;D

Front fork seals leaking and steering head oem bearings shot, shock horror lol

The front forks are pulled apart, every component has gone through the parts washer and have been dried off/inspected...now awaiting seals for a rebuild. A jug of 15w fork oil also sits on my bench...

The triple tree's have been removed and the original bearings/races discarded. The lower triple tree/lock nuts have also gone through the parts washer, dried off and new roller bearings fitted and everything reinstalled...buttery smooth action once again!!

I still have the starter clutch, etc to check, gas tank to be flushed, front brake caliper to be service and new pads installed, YIK's to discard... ;D

The carbs are being cleaned in an ultra sonic tank and will be ready this weekend, thanks to my brother Peter.

This old girl is getting close to being ridden, real soon...

8) ....... TIGER .......  8)

supervision

Good work Tiger, glad your still wanting to work on Vision's!!!  My Doctor still has me on a no motorcycle diet, but I expect to be back in the hunt soon.   As our, 2015 YAMA FZ07, only went 350 miles before collecting the deer, and is not repaired yet, at least I could take out the V.  I wanted to mention something that I have discovered about my carbs, the black hose that brings acc pump gas to the front carb was leaking, I found clear to replace it,as soon as I got it running, there are air bubbles in the new hose!!  Now I can see the importance of super cleaning under the nozzles.
" border="0

QBS

Malfunctioning accel pump (perforated diaphram?) pumping an undesirable mixture of air and fuel?

supervision

QBS, to me it seams that would show as a gas leak on the diaphragm. I am thinking it is allowing air to come back in from the nozzle, instead of stoping fuel from moving backwards past the ball.  The first time you turn the throttle you get air instead of gas.  I am wondering if anyone else has put clear on that hose.
" border="0

QBS

If you're pumping air, not fuel,  I would think that should produce a significant flat spot.

supervision

I agree, QBS, these carbs came on the low mile motor that I put in my bike, they weren't all that dirty and just cleaned the low speed jets, it was the best running V no stumble at all, for many miles. Out of no where it started stumbling, and I saw the acc won't work at all, it had lost it's prime. After many strokes of the throttle it started squirting, I also noticed the black hose had a pin hole, all I could find was clear and then I noticed the air in the system. Just to see if I can stop the bubbles I am going to clean the checking system. If not I will have to rebuild the pump.
" border="0

Tiger

Another Vision is ready for the road 8) nVr picked her up last night... ;D

Tiger.

Rikugun

Very Nice. That's the way to get a Vision - after an experienced Visionary has worked the bugs out!  :)

QBS

Tiger, thank you for keeping the flame burning.

Tiger

Thanks guys...it was actually fun to work on this Vision, for the best part ;D It had a wealth of problems to sort out...but now has some loving' put back in to her :D :D ;D

However, the sad part is, this low milage V has a knock on the bottom end, due to a past owners neglect/negligence. When I drained the oil, (to pull the left side cover off to do the starter clutch work), it came out looking like cream!!! a mixture of oil/water/gas...and had 'bronze' sediment in the oil filter housing. On start up, the knock was evident >:(

nVr has his sights set on a pair of Vision's, not far from me, which will help rectify the problem...and give him a wealth of spares to ;)

Tiger.