Virago rear wheel on a vision?

Started by NewbieVRider, August 18, 2014, 09:33:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NewbieVRider

So folks,
I may be getting a 1982 Virago donated to me, and I know that it is shaft drive as well.  Do you think I could put that rear wheel on a Vision?  I know that there are a  number of you that have way more techie knowledge, so please guide me!
'82 XZ550
'03 Shadow ACE 750 - Big O - Candy Orange Motif
'12 GSX1250FA SE - Jessica - Metallic Alba Blue
'87 Kawasaki GPZ 305 (my son's bike)

jefferson

The wheel should go right on if the bearing sizes are the same. The drive spline hub should be the same. The brakes from the Virago may need to be used if they are a different size. It should be a fairly easy straight forward swap.

Rikugun

I think this sidecar equipped Vision uses a Virago wheel. It's smaller diameter lowers top speed but helps with moving the extra weight around. Since the bike no longer leans when turning, reduced clearance is not an issue.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

The Prophet of Doom

It's not as easy as all that.

There are at least three different spline patterns and bolt patterns on the various virago models.  Then they have 2 different axle diameters, and a bunch of different axle lengths.  Also the wider tyres are a tight fit - it will depend on size and brand.

The Virago 700 wheel I have needed a spline swap but had same bolt hole pattern, same axle diam, but it's a wider fit so can only fit in if you remove the rear gear and slip it in sideways, even then the axle needs shortening on a lathe.

[edit] The brakes are larger on the Virago also.
On the front, the wheel width and axle diam identical, so you can use the Vision axle. but rotor clearances different, so brakes need to be modded and you need the virago speedo gear as the connections are completely different.  The Virago tyre rubs on the mudguard.

Inspect carefully before buying. 

Rikugun

Good points worth investigating to save time and money.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

artbone

Quote from: ProphetOfDoom on August 19, 2014, 03:00:32 PM
It's not as easy as all that.

There are at least three different spline patterns and bolt patterns on the various virago models.  Then they have 2 different axle diameters, and a bunch of different axle lengths.  Also the wider tyres are a tight fit - it will depend on size and brand.

The Virago 700 wheel I have needed a spline swap but had same bolt hole pattern, same axle diam, but it's a wider fit so can only fit in if you remove the rear gear and slip it in sideways, even then the axle needs shortening on a lathe.

[edit] The brakes are larger on the Virago also.
On the front, the wheel width and axle diam identical, so you can use the Vision axle. but rotor clearances different, so brakes need to be modded and you need the virago speedo gear as the connections are completely different.  The Virago tyre rubs on the mudguard.

Inspect carefully before buying.
Is the reason you can't get the rear wheel in because of the wide tire or is the hub too wide to fit between the ring gear and swing arm?
Art Bone

'83 Yamaha Vision in the Classic Black and Gold  Running
'82 Yamaha Vision Running
'74 Norton Fastback - Colorado Norton Works #26  Running
'73 Norton Interstate  Running
'75 Triumph T 160  Running
'62 Harley Davidson Vintage Racer
'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

The Prophet of Doom

See my other post.  Not sure about the tyre as I'd cut mine off.  The hub was certainly too wide to slip in without removing the transmission first.

fret not

Being from a different part of the globe we have some differences in language, and especially in some terminology.   In this regard I inquire as to what specifically you are referring to when you use the term "transmission". 

The term 'transmission' suddenly seems to have such vague confines of definition. ???
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

The Prophet of Doom

I was referring to the roundy roundy bit slung on the end of the swing-arm.

fret not

Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!