Speedometer error

Started by skucera, August 26, 2014, 12:48:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skucera

Today I confirmed that my speedo is waaayyy off, reading 10-12 mph low above 40 mph.  I bought a used GPS from Goodwill for $10... best $10 I've spent all week.  The error appears to be non-linear, since there is no error up to 20 mph or so, then increasing error up to 40 mph.  Oddly, the error doesn't increase linearly above 40, remaining about 12 mph low up to an indicated 65 mph (77 mph on the GPS).

So, my instinct is that the speedo has gummed up over the years.  Anyone ever cleaned one?  There aren't a lot of speedo calibration shops left running in the country, especially now that instruments are going digital instead of analog.

Scott

cvincer

I would:-

1)  Remove the inner speedo cable & clean it .......soak/flush out the outer cable cable with kersone, then blow out any

rubbish  with an airline.   Put the inner back in the outer & lubricate with lightweight oil.

2)  Grease the bearing that is located where the inner speedo cable goes into the speedo housing. (see archives)

3)  Connect up, go for a ride, see if any improvement.  If yes u are happy, if not ...time to get into the speedo itself.

skucera

Sounds like good advice.  I'll do it.

Scott