83 XZ550 head gasket thickness

Started by cobol74, September 08, 2014, 06:07:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cobol74

Since 83 vision head gaskets seem non-existent I want to order some copper ones from Cometic.

I know other ROV members have bought 82 vision head gaskets from them.

Does anybody know the thickness of the 83's ?

They use a different part number than the 82's and I've read they're thinner.

I think I read on the forum that the 82's are .032 inch

thanks for any help that can be given

The Prophet of Doom

There's quite a range of part numbers if you go through the various parts fiches... at least 5 or 6 variations.

You can't measure this sort of stuff in inches. 

I have 2 variations of head gasket in my stash.

The one on the left is a genuine Yamaha I got from Germany tagged as 11H-11351-00 out of the 28V-W0001-00-xx top end gasket kit.  It's made of two thinner sheets of what looks like painted steel clipped together - you can see the clip tabs around the edges.
0.75mm thick

The one on the right is also genuine Yamaha.  I ordered 2yrs ago ex Yamaha Japan quoting part 11H-11181-04 for the 16R variant but it arrived with no part numbers on it.  It is made of some sort of fibre material with a steel ring around the cylinder and copper around the oil passage.  It looks identical in general shape, but this one has slightly different hole sizing, and an additional hole on the right.
1.50mm thick

You can buy these gaskets (with the extra hole going by the picture) from Wemoto for $US67 a pair including shipping.  Is that cheaper than custom ones from Cometic?.  Wemoto are very reliable in my experience.

The Prophet of Doom

I should add that those fibre gaskets squeeze down when torqued, so probably best not to specify 1.5mm if you are getting a copper gasket made. :-)

cobol74

The 83 part number I show for the 'RK' xz550 version head gasket is  28V-11181-00-00

cobol74

I should add that I'm talking about the 83 USA xz550.
It's my understanding that this engine version was only sold in the USA.

From my searches of the ROV forum, it seems that the 83 USA 'RK' xz550 has a higher cylinder and thinner head gaskets
than the 82 'RJ' USA version (11H-11181-04 head gasket) or the euro 11U (11H-11181-01 head gasket)

The Prophet of Doom

Gee thanks POD for going into your garage in 5 degree temps and measuring and photographing your gaskets just for me.
Sorry for being such an ingrate.  I deserve to have a broken bike forever.
You are the greatest xxxoooxxx Cobol74

Rikugun

When you remove the head, measure the metal fire ring part of the gasket surrounding the combustion chamber and have one made to that thickness.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

drtaco

Quote from: ProphetOfDoom on September 08, 2014, 11:18:21 PM
Gee thanks POD for going into your garage in 5 degree temps and measuring and photographing your gaskets just for me.
Sorry for being such an ingrate.  I deserve to have a broken bike forever.
You are the greatest xxxoooxxx Cobol74

your good :), I usually console myself with the reminder ' i'am a temporary arrangement of matter sliding toward oblivion in a cold, uncaring universe' :)
my vision be running great at 4500rpm and greater :) have to park it outside due to gas pouring out somewhere up by carbs when I cut it off, maybe I'll check it soon :0. 

fret not

From the last information I heard Cometic offer two thicknesses of head gasket for the XZ550, though the current catalog shows nothing for the XZ550, so you would need to contact them and ask.  The information is probably in an older catalog or archive.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Jimustanguitar

Quote from: fret nut on September 15, 2014, 12:51:19 AM
From the last information I heard Cometic offer two thicknesses of head gasket for the XZ550, though the current catalog shows nothing for the XZ550, so you would need to contact them and ask.  The information is probably in an older catalog or archive.

Parts and Upgrades section.

http://ridersofvision.net/rovforum/index.php?topic=14339.0