Us bikers should be more like this guy from now on.

Started by Jimustanguitar, September 17, 2014, 08:52:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimustanguitar

Rikugun

I've seen this kind of blatant littering and thought it was uniquely American. Oh well, I guess not. But we're still the best at it!  :o

I can remember as a kid seeing the anti-littering ads with the tearful Native American and being moved by them. I may have thought littering was a then recent phenomenon. As an adult I've watched movies from the 30's and 40's and people are constantly throwing stuff on the ground, out car windows, etc. as if it's perfectly normal and acceptable behavior. I guess some things never change.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

skucera

Here in Oregon there is a backlash against eco-minded preachiness that I think is totally misguided.  It is evident both in young folks just throwing things out their car windows (and sassing back when you tell them to put it in a trash can), and also by owners of diesel pickups that set their fuel pressure regulators too rich so they can blast black clouds of smoke at Prius drivers.  I, personally, think this backlash is a trifle adolescent.  Then again, I too remember the public service ad with the Indian fellow's silent teardrop.  Maybe it's yet another generational divide, but now I'm part of the older generation that tries to clean up the environment, rather than making a mess.

Scott

pinholenz

Here in NZ the activists for cleaning up the shit in the sea are the surfers. I kinda like the notion of bikers being the road surfers doing the same thing. Imagine having your rubbish thrown back at you by scooter riders and patched gang members alike.  You would start to think twice. Love it ! :police:
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550

Rikugun

Quote from: pinholenz on September 18, 2014, 06:51:40 AM
Here in NZ the activists for cleaning up the shit in the sea are the surfers.
I hope they enjoy their work as sadly it will be never ending.

The only problem with confronting these people is the seemingly unavoidable violent anger it stirs up in the offender. I noticed the biker (is it a girl BTW?) didn't hang around long. Being on a bike leaves one vulnerable so splitting lanes to distance yourself seems like a good idea.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

jefferson

I have done that a few times. There is absolutely no excuse for littering and it doesn't matter how small the object is. Smokers are the worst with their butts. I also really love the oblivorons and their magic pickup beds. They throw their trash in the back and it magically disappears.

skucera

Here in Oregon we have a crime called "Throwing burning material on a roadway," ORS 476.715, which is a class B misdemeanor.  Folks from out of state look at that in the driver's manual and think, "Good God, what do they do up there in Oregon that warrants such a law or such a stiff penalty?"  Yes, you can get up to six months in jail here for throwing a cigarette out of a car. 

Why?

The reason is that we have terrible forest fires here in the summertime.  It isn't just a theoretical possibility.  Most are started by lightening strikes, and a few are caused by careless campers not putting out campfires.  Every year, at least one of them is caused by someone flicking a butt out their car window.  Fire marshals have no problem figuring out where a forest fire starts, and sometimes they can even track down the culprit.  The best part is that they, like careless campers, are usually charged with all the costs of putting out the fire too.

I love it when the state does the equivalent of tossing garbage back into a car, or the costs of putting out a forest fire. :D

Scott

jefferson

As a retired firefighter I can say that 90% of our grass fires could be traced back to the side of the road where the only real explanation is a butt out the window. They don't even think about it on a day that the wind is blowing 30 mph.

fret not

Smokey here today.  About 40 miles from the King fire burning in the Sierra Nevada mountains.  Some guy started it and is now in the clink with bail set at several millions$.  It will burn for many more days before it either rains or burns out.  It has been very dry here for several years, this year is the driest on record, so the wild lands go up like tinder.  Fire season, I'll be relieved when it's over and the rains finally come.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!