Alternative to butterfly shaft seal replacement, ...maybe?

Started by QBS, November 10, 2014, 08:44:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QBS

Haven't done this.  Remove all rubber parts from the carb top except the shaft seals.  Soak carb top in hydraulic brake fluid or some other liquid known to swell rubber.  Make sure shaft seals are under the surface. Wait a week.  Inspect shaft for chances in resistance to turning that might indicate tight seals.  I'm just throwing this out to all of our most esteemed gurus.  Comments regarding probability of success are encouraged.  If this works it would sure beat outright seal replacement.  Cheers to all.

Jimustanguitar

The butterfly seals are still available... I found mine on a marine/boats website that someone here posted...

Has the supply dried up, or are you value engineering :)

QBS

I'm trying to avoid the stress/potential for disaster of physically replacing the seals.  If they can be swollen chemically they may continue to serve their purpose without being disturbed.

fret not

Maybe a regular application of automatic transmission sealer additive to the shaft seals might keep them pliable and slightly swollen.  Can you even get to them all with a small brush?
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Rikugun

Quote from: fret nut on November 20, 2014, 01:30:03 AM
Maybe a regular application of automatic transmission sealer additive to the shaft seals might keep them pliable and slightly swollen.  Can you even get to them all with a small brush?

Perhaps aerosolize it and apply around the shaft ends through a nozzle and tube while its running.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan