News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Brrrrrrr.....

Started by skucera, November 14, 2014, 02:42:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skucera

Yesterday I rode my bike through 33°F mixed rain and sleet to get to and from work.  Brrrrrr....  I wish my car was working.  I have clearly been taking comforts a little too much for granted lately, like heat, defogging, electric seat heaters, and windshield wipers.  Not that I ever needed to validate my valor, but I now can answer that I am tough enough to ride a motorcycle in winter weather, but that doesn't mean it's pleasant.  On a naked bike to boot....

Yesterday I didn't see any other motorcyclists, but I saw one today, a guy on a retired police BMW boxer.  He was wearing a snowmobile suit.  I've got to look into getting one of those if I can't get my car fixed soon.

My wife took pity on me this morning and drove me to work in her car.

Scott

Rikugun

Yikes, that sounds awful. I'd suggest getting a fairing but think perhaps getting the car fixed would make more sense.  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

skucera

Well, I still haven't fixed the car.  I did buy a new balaclava to keep the cold breeze inside my helmet from freezing my scalp.  Even with all the vents closed on my helmet the airflow from my chin flows very strongly to the rear vents.  My helmet is better at cooling your head in the hot sun than keeping it warm in the icy chill of morning.

Scott

Rikugun

What brand did you get and how do you like it? I've wanted to get one but often hear complaints of seams causing discomfort, ill fit, etc.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

skucera

I got a FreezeOut balaclava from Cycle Gear.  I got an e-mail last week saying it was on sale for $9.99.  It was very timely.  I haven't tried it yet.  We had freezing fog this morning, so my wife drove me to work.  Tomorrow should be better... still freezing, and still a little fog, but not 23°F, so my visor shouldn't mist up, freeze solid, and leave me riding blind.

And the car still isn't fixed.  Solved two error codes this evening, but I now have another entirely new one.  Grrr.....

Scott

skucera

I've been using the balaclava for the last two days.  In below freezing weather, it is much warmer than my old neck muff.  The top of my head still gets cold, but it is not the same level of searing pain from icy air blowing over my otherwise bare scalp.  The front and back of the neck are well protected... warm even.  The sides of the balaclava are breathable, and they are cooler as a result, but not icy cold like going without a neck muff.  It's a well-spent $10.

Scott

Rikugun

Thanks for the review, much appreciated. How does it affect the fit of your helmet - is it snugger? My worry would be the helmet liner may stretch/compress and feel loose once the balaclava is no longer needed.

skucera

The helmet hasn't been seeming any snugger, but then again I've only been wearing it this week.  Time will tell.

Scott