News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Just bought a 1983

Started by R90S, November 14, 2014, 07:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R90S

Picked this one up about a month ago. Should not need much...battery, tank needs a por15 treatment but I have a new black one if it doesn't work out. Likely basic tuneup as it hasn't run in a few years.

jefferson

If it hasn't run in a few years, then plan on doing a carb cleaning. I would change all the fluids and don't forget the brakes. Flush them good.
That thing looks real nice in the photo. Looks like you got a good one.

Rikugun

Looks to be in very clean condition. Did Canadian 83's come with chrome exhaust and black rims?

I see it still has the plate that conceals the alternator wires.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

skucera

My '82 came with lots of parts from one of these Canadian red and white 1983's.  I have the tank and side panels, but not the fairing.  The pipes are black chrome.  My extra wheels were gold anodized, and were later murdered out in all black.  It's an odd combination of colors and textures.

I like the red and white color combination.  Is it true that it was homage to Marlboro racing colors, or is it just red and white in a pleasing combination of colors?  Although, my paint cut line is diagonal, not parallel under the top edge of the tank.

Scott

Tiger

Quote from: Rikugun on November 15, 2014, 10:31:43 AM
...Did Canadian 83's come with chrome exhaust and black rims?

Yes  8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Rikugun

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Kenny

Congratulations on your new purchase ! R90S From the outside it looks in Awesome shape, How many klms on it . 
   We have 110,000 klms on our 83 and just put the 1st stator in it.
    Cheers Ken S ;) 
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

R90S

Thank you all for the replies and welcoming me as a new member. Bike has 19,000km, bought from an elderly gentleman who put minimal kms on it in the last 20 years. All original except for new mufflers. I have still not found the time to research the usual Vision trouble areas yet.

Regards  mike