News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Does the Vision have a future?

Started by Re-Vision, November 22, 2014, 06:43:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vl5150

I don't think the bike has a future at all since no one really knows what they are.  I do like my Vision, but I do think it's a good bike, not a great bike.  It's uniqueness makes up for a lot of deficiencies.  My '83 Nighthawk 650 for example was a much better bike from a functional perspective.  It has easier maintenance, more power, and a 6th OD gear.  I was able to keep up on group rides and never lacked power. The Vision could have had some of this technology, but they missed the mark.  The styling and look of the Vision endear it to me and it's nice to ride around town.  Just a bit limited to me, but I've been riding a ZRX 1100 and CBR 1000 for 10 years too.

Rikugun

QuoteI don't think the bike has a future at all since no one really knows what they are.
In order to argue this properly we'd have to define and agree upon what a bike's "future" entails but I don't think I'd base it entirely on how recognizable it is. I've been to bike shows and seen models previously unknown to me but that didn't necessarily diminish my interest or invalidate the bike's place in the industry.

Regarding the 100cc and HP advantage of the SC, You know what else is faster than an XZ? Just about any other bike of the period with more HP. You know what's faster than a 450 Nighthawk? A 550 Nighthawk. OK, I'm being a bit cheeky but the point is valid. There's a lot more to group riding dynamics then just HP. Mismatched participants can ride together cohesively if well led. It's not fun nor safe for slower riders to constantly have to play catch up so I'd say if one finds themselves constantly in that position, find a different group or get a bigger bike.  :angel:

I am a huge fan of the DOHC 650 Nighthawks and they have some enviable features but like any bike they had some issues too.  I can think of bikes I prefer over both the CB and the XZ and others that don't compare to either.  At the end of the day it's more a function of individual taste and fulfilling specific needs that endears one to some bikes over others.

And finally, I agree with you the Vision isn't a "great" bike in the strictest sense. Having said that, in my eyes it's still a great bike. Hey, what can I say? I wouldn't be here if I wasn't a fan.  :)

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

vl5150

I'm quite fond of the bike too and that the main problem- We're in the minority. 

I have a '71 Yamaha R5 a '74 RD350 and a '77 RD400.  All 3 absolutely stop traffic and draw crowds wherever I go.  It's guys in their late 40's to early 60's that remember the bikes fondly and they all have a story either where they had a Honda that couldn't keep up with the Yamaha or they owned one and couldn't keep the front tire off the ground.  Their memories are a bit more legendary than the actual performance of the bike, but that nostalgia is what drives the resale market. I've been offered $10,000 on the spot for my RD400 (it's a built cafe racer).  I also get people pulling their check books for the RD350 too.  These people will drop serious coin in a RD restoration just to relive the past.  People do take a 2nd look at the Vision, but then scratch their heads wondering what the heck it is.  They like it, but it doesn't draw that memory recall since most people have never encountered one.  So as to the Vision the old guys are out and the young guys want HP and more HP...and fairings.  So that leaves less "investors" willing to put the time and effort into Vision since the parts are less available and they don't have the emotional investment.

So that leaves the Vision to quirky people like us that don't mind taking a chance on a cool bike that has a unique look.   I think I have way more into the bike then it's worth, but to me it's still worth it.  So the actual answer is we're the future.

Dean

My take on the Vision...

When you look at 1982 specifically, not a lot of liquid cooling happening with Yamaha street bikes; other than the vision there was RD/RZ120LC, RD/RZ250LC and RD/RZ350 (47hp). Also, if you look at the v-twin action at Yamaha there is the xv750 (51hp), XV920 (65hp) versus the 62hp of the Vision's 550cc. So what Yamaha had was a unique, liquid cooled, v-twin engine with excellent hp (for the day), street bike.

Was the Vision a sport bike...could be but not really when compared to a RD/RZ. A touring bike...could be but the larger XJ's/XS's looked to be more the part and a more popular choice. A rival to a HD...don't think that was ever the intention...but again not compared to XV. So what was the xz...possibly an attempt to be an all-rounder with an engine that was more advanced compared to the air cooled engines or the smokers of 1982.

Now I'm rambling...where I'm going is (IMO) the Vision tried to capture broad audience, however in doing so never really created an identity. Without an identity the model may not become as sought after as say the RD/RZ.

So back to the question...Does the Vision has a future...Yes...at least in my garage...purchased my first a few weeks back, another last night. As commented to in a previous post...I'm drawn to the uniqueness of a early '80's Yamaha liquid v-twin, short stroke, 4 valve cylinder, down draft carb...

Also, IMO, this forum is a huge contributing factor to maintaining a future for the Vision.

You do not need a therapist if you own a motorcycle, any kind of motorcycle! Dan Aykroyd

Rikugun

Yup, all good points. The Vision will never enjoy the resale value or draw an ego stroking crowd like a classic BSA, RD, GPz, etc.  If you had asked me in 1983 if the Vision had a future I would have said no but here it is 30+ years later with a reasonably active forum and enthusiasts all over the globe. Not bad for a bike with identity issues.   ;)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

hoverhead47

pullshocks

Well let me say this about that.....

A good running '83 is a bike worth having. 

As far as the forum, I wish there were a way for ROV and www.xz550.de to join forces

Enhancing and updating the technical pages might help increase interest in the Vision.  Lucky's Vision resources seem to be gone, and nothing has ever taken its place.  New folks have to slog through the forum to get info.  I think there are a lot of non-running visions out there, a good number of which could be brought back to life.  Maybe if Tiger could be persuaded to do one last Vision, with a photographer....

Rikugun

Re-Vision

Why can't we join forces?

Quote from: pullshocks on February 26, 2015, 01:15:15 AM
Well let me say this about that.....
As far as the forum, I wish there were a way for ROV and www.xz550.de to join forces

Someone here who speaks German might be of great benefit, translate and steal their pictures if necessary. I saw some clever improvements looking at the gallery pictures. Lots of ways we can get our technical resources organized for better availability. The more we do the more valuable our bikes become.     BDC

motoracer8

I have one Norton, and that's enough. I will have to say almost any part I want for my 40 yr old Norton is still available.
83 Vision and 11 others, Japanese, German and British

fret not

Yeah, the Norton Owner's Club has been a great service to old Norton owners.  I used to belong but haven't had a Norton for many years.  They specifically went about making sure the original parts manufacturers would make a run of parts once in a while, or find another shop to replicate the original parts.  We don't have anything quite like that at all.  Our best resource is the internet to find New Old Stock or used parts, which leaves us vision owners at a significant disadvantage in that regard.  Now the new hope on the horizon is 3D printing technology.  All it takes is for someone to do it. :police:
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Rikugun

Not topic related but going with the Norton theme....

All the Norton eye candy you want coming up in April for those in the northeast US i.e. NY, PA, NJ. Large parking lot with Nortons mixed in with what the admirers ride there on which is a little bit of everything.

http://www.dvnr.org/gathering/2015_22nd_flyer.pdf

Spitzen Mcgruder

im aware that im responding to an older thread but im new and couldn't respond before, anyhow i think the vision does have a future. im new to the vision myself and i am in complete love with this bike. ill own other bikes in the future but this one will always have a place in my garage. i have no plan to ever rid myself of it, its too cool. others like me are finding these bikes slowly but surely. in an age of computer tech, having a machine with limited to no chips, hard drives, processors, or other annoying modern tech is a blessing. thanks for reading guys i appreciate it.
When the shit is about to hit the fan, step out from under the fan...

Re-Vision

I've pretty much made up my mine that the Vision may have a limited future as long as new fans continue to come on board. My observations from the last six or seven years indicate that even the bike's strongest supporters tend to fade and drop by the wayside when they realize that that there are no economical cures for all of the bike's woes. Perhaps if we had a few Tigers spread around the world we could have a hope for a future, but look what happened to Canada when Tiger left us. How nice it would be to go into motorcycle shop and get a Vision upgrade kit installed and leave all of its incumbent problems behind. Not going to happen though. When the Vision is running well, I have no desire for any other street bike whether larger or smaller because I consider this machine perfect for me. I wish well for all Visioneers but I believe our days are numbered. Hope I'm wrong.      BDC

fret not

Part of the attraction to the XZ550 for me is the challenge to understand the bike and make it do what it is supposed to do so I can enjoy it.  It would be much easier to find parts if the bike had been produced over a longer span of years, but here we are and this is what we get.  In such case the journey is the destination, so to speak.  Therefore the "eXtreme Zen" moniker is clearly apt.  There may be fewer and fewer devotees to the Vision, but I think the light will burn bright for this bike as long as there are any of them around.

I have always thought this bike should have been introduced as a 750, then it would have enjoyed a longer production run.

The Prophet of Doom

Ten or fifteen years ago people were pretty animated about how it was the ugliest / worst bike Yamaha ever made etc etc.
Now everything old is cool again, and people aren't quite so dismissive.  Give it another 5-10 years it will have true vintage status and anyone with a working Vision will be a local hero.  Hang in there boys.
My guess is Tiger will get offered a pristine Vision and will be unable to say no.  More fun to be one of the most knowledgeable Vision owners with a Vision than averagely knowledgeable about something else.
A big bore kit would be great - I'd be sending my $ off as fast as I could for one of those.

fret not

WE all know the bike is interesting and unique, and since there are relatively very few of them they will be of interest to future riders, especially at "cruise nights" and VJMC meets.  The future is out there, . . . somewhere.

Kiwi

Mr BDC - I am sadly devoid of time, cash, and knowledge, but I have a Vision i would donate your cause.  It's a parts bike, with plenty of parts.  I'd happily donate it as a donor/ test bed.
I.e, take the somewhat leaky gas tank, and use it to make  mold for something new/ better?
Peel apart the wiring harness to study/ take pictures?
Take the plastics and create molds for those?

Sadly, these things take too much of the categories i don't have, but i offer this bike for those who might have the resources
US 82 XZ550 with the flapper Airbox

Single Carb Vision

The Honda Hulk, pictured above looks like they used the bars and mirrors from a Honda 90!

Re-Vision

The offer is appreciated Kiwi. Hope you stimulate someone with more get-up-and-go than myself.      BDC