News:

Main Menu

Series regulator install on SV650S

Started by George R. Young, November 25, 2014, 10:08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George R. Young

After all, it's a V-Twin too with the same questionable permanent magnet alternator:

http://web.ncf.ca/ag136/SV650/seriesRegulator.html

fret not

George, where does one find technical specs for this reg/rec unit?  Is it really the fabled "series" type that makes much less demand on the charging system?  I thought the SH series RR units are the silicone diode gate type.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Blake

"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

George R. Young

Here's the Shindengen page:
http://www.shindengen.co.jp/product_e/electro/catalog.html
FH stands for mosFet while SH stands for Silicon controlled rectifier (SCR). For example, the SH785 is an SCR shunt regulator, while the SH775 is an SCR series regulator.

Here's one on eBay for about $40.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-Polaris-RZR-Razor-800-S-Regulator-Rectifier-4012941-Used-Parts-ATV-UTV-Sled-/300951833504?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4612208ba0&vxp=mtr

supervision

George, how long have been running it? Can you feel less heat in the stator case?
" border="0

George R. Young

So far, I've fired up the SV650 for a couple of minutes to check the voltage at idle and a couple of thousand RPM. In Ottawa, the riding season is pretty well over, so I won't have any more info until Spring.

supervision

Thanks George, OK, we'll wait for your opinion.
" border="0

cvincer

G'day George R,    In the attachment to your first post, you said:-

"The little extension with the 3 yellow wires was sacrificed, chopped in half to splice ........"

Any chance of a photo for us non-electrical people ?

George R. Young

For some reason, the SV650S has a three inch extension in the wiring from the stator to the regulator. The regulator wiring is long enough to plug its connector directly into the stator connector.

Anyway, for the new SH775, I chopped this extension in half and soldered wires from the regulator to the male extension half, so it can plug directly into the stator connector. Covered splices with heat shrink tubing.

R                                                                  S
      e                        3 yellow wires                            t
  O   g   -----------------> >----------------------> >----------------  a
  l   /   -----------------> >----------------------> >----------------  t
  d   R   -----------------> >----------------------> >----------------  o
      e                                                                  r
      c   
      t

3 yellow
                                          wires
                                       X------------>
                                       X------------>
                                       X------------>

R                                   3 yellow                       S
      e                                     wires                        t
  N   g   ------------------------------=-----------> >----------------  a
  e   /   ------------------------------=-----------> >----------------  t
  w   R   ------------------------------=-----------> >----------------  o
      e                                 ^                                r
      c                                 |
      t                              Splice   

cvincer

My bad ...... thought the talk about chopping referred to the projection on the regulator itself.  Thanks for taking the trouble to reply.

George R. Young

Aha, here's a Vstrom reference
http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111850&highlight=regulator+upgrade
and there's a video in it that shows how the SCRs chop the input to control the DC output.

fret not

So, are the series type R/R units supposed to be better than the MOSFET type?  Do they really put less load on the charging system than the shunt type? :police:

fret not

I just got my answer from the wizard:
http://www.triumphrat.net/speed-triple-forum/104504-charging-system-diagnostics-rectifier-regulator-upgrade.html

Looks like the next big thing for reliability.  As much improvement as the MOSFET RR units are over the original RR units, the series type looks to be even better.  Just read the stuff on the link I put up.

supervision

I'm glad someone we know finally bought one! Props to George!! Here is a simple way to look at it: the SERIES R/R, regulate first rectify second, the advantage is the STATOR will be cooler because only the necessary A/C  current is being sent to the diodes to be rectified into DC voltage. The reason to do it is, your bike will be faster, and your stator should last longer!! The downside is the R/R probably hotter than the old style, and they might R/R might have a shorter life. POLARIS must not be too concerned or they wouldn't be using them.
" border="0

fret not

I went to the Polaris parts list and the RR unit is listed for $66.41   That is USD, and  new.  I will check with our local Polaris dealer to see if this is real.

George R. Young

Quote from: supervision on November 28, 2014, 10:15:27 AM
. . . The downside is the R/R probably hotter than the old style, . . .
With a shunt-type regulator, the 20 Amp output of the alternator is divided, 10 A is delivered to the bike for practical stuff and 10A flows thru the diodes and regulator shunting devices (SCRs, FETs) to heat it up.

With a series regulator, the SCRs act as the diodes and only conduct when told to do so, delivering 10 A to the bike. Both the stator and the regulator should run cooler as there's only 10A flowing through each.

supervision

Thanks George, I hope more bikes start coming stock like this!   My wife bought me a  2015 YAMAHA FZ-07,  serial # 00062, which is also my age!  The bike came stock with one of those super light, high tech batteries, which has 13.25 resting voltage. 
" border="0

fret not

Yes, more words from the Wizard, that the series run cooler than the original SCR RR units.  He said that on his bike he can touch the RR unitafter a run and it is hot but not hot enough to burn your skin.  They do dissipate heat, that's why they have cooling fins. 

MOSFET RR units are an improvement over the original SCR RR units, and the series are another step forward.

George R. Young

The SH775 has 3 AC input leads and 2 DC output leads and this is the way the Suzuki SV650S is organized.

The Vision regulator has 3 AC input leads and 3 leads on the DC side, red, brown and GND (probably black). Red is positive, GND is negative and the brown lead is a voltage sense lead. This sensing is done internally in the SH775.

If you were to use a SH775 on a Vision the brown lead should be left open at the regulator end. So on the output side, it would be SH775 Positive (terminal nearest the other connector) to Vision Red, SSH775 Negative (terminal farthest from the other connector) to Vision GND.

If this technology had been available in 2003 I might still be a Visionary. But it got awful tiresome getting marooned by the side of the road far away from home.

fret not

"If this technology had been available in 2003 I might still be a Visionary."

There is still time George. ;)