News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Out of the garage after 5 years

Started by Wayne Johnson, August 12, 2003, 03:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wayne Johnson

I have an 83 vision that I purchased new in 85.  It has been a great bike except for when I've had to replace the stator.  After getting married, having kids and buying a house I found that the Vision just didn't have the same high priority that it used to have and it ended up sitting in the garage for the last five years.  

I finally decided to get it going again and after replacing the battery it started.  Ok, it kind of started, sort of.  The engine was running but there was no way I could ride it.  I took the carbs off and cleaned them.  It was interesting how the bottom of the float bowls had turned green.  I didn't do a very good job of cleaning the carbs, it now was running well enough to ride, sort of.  I then bought a can of real carb cleaner and dipped the carbs.  This helped, it's running better but it still is not as much fun as I remember it being.  

I still need to change the plugs, that might help.  I don't think I have gotten everything out of the carbs.  Well if the wife and kids will give me the time I'll get this beast running right.  Or I'll give up and take it to a shop and hope that a lot of money will get it fixed.

Walt_M.

Have you tried to synch the carbs yet? I have an '83 also, original owner too, and getting both throttles opening the same made an amazing difference. I had also increased the accelerator pump stroke. Not sure if that made any difference but it sure ran better when I synched the carbs. You might also want to check the valve clearances while you are at it. If they are not in proper clearance, if you adjust them, you'll have to synch the carbs again.
Whale oil beef hooked!

QBS

Don't spend $ on plugs.  They last a really long time Vs.  30k miles is no big deal.  Send your carbs to Lucky for servicing.  After his ultasonic cleaning and synchronization your bike will run like new.  Don't forget to change your starter seal and reattach the starter clutch, if you haven't already done so.  Read Lucky's site for many goodies.  Cheers.

Riche

Add a feul filter too. Your clean carbs may be getting dirty again due to rust/dirt in your tank. If all you have just read doesn't help try the UltraLuckSonicY route for ultra clean carbs

Lucky

Just an FYI, If I get a set of carbs to rebuild, & I don't see the fuel line cut for a filter, I include one in the service.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black