News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Grommet Source?

Started by Re-Vision, December 21, 2014, 06:04:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dingleberry

Quote from: ProphetOfDoom on December 27, 2014, 12:54:36 AM
If you got enough you could make a whole new wife

Yes, a fine idea indeed but the curing would be the problem. Women can't be cured. Then there's the complexity....
You like, oui?

Re-Vision

Hey, I just celebrated the 53 anniversary with my first wife. Believe me, you don't want a whole new wife.      BDC

Jimustanguitar

Quote from: Re-Vision on December 22, 2014, 10:40:43 AM
Thanks Mike, mind boggling info on grommets. I couldn't find exactly what I wanted from any of the larger suppliers so I'm going to start a new thread on feasibility of 3-D printed grommets.     BDC

I thought I replied on this point, but I guess not.

There are some promising new flexible 3D printing filaments out there, look up NinjaFlex.

Another option is to 3D print a mold and cast your own grommets out of another material. I just did something similar to this for some vibration isolators on an RC project. http://repables.com/r/431/

If you can get me dimensions, I  could at least design the mold for you. Then I can either print and ship it, you can go to a library with a printer, you could find someone on 3Dhubs or makeXYZ, or you could just order one from Shapeways...

fret not

That Versimold stuff looks like a good candidate for remaking intake manifolds if it's fuel proof.  Now, to clean the rubber stuff off the metal parts.

Jim, can you actually make grommet molds if I get you measurements?  How much will that cost?
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Jimustanguitar

I can draw you up a mold, sure.

kwells

Think of it like this...they last about 25 years. 5 bucks or so isn't that much.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Re-Vision

Making your own molds is okay but I'd worry about getting a proper material for the grommets. I've lost enough side covers over the years that I have to agree with you about buying the overpriced OEM grommets..     BDC

fret not

Kwells, are you going to race your XZ again this year?
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

kwells

I might. I haven't seen a schedule announced yet though. Blackie's motor has started smoking some so I think I need to get another donor motor to beat on.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

supervision

Hey Kevin, long time no see!! Are you and Ben still hanging out, Good to here from you
" border="0

Re-Vision

I've recently had my computer worked on and I've lost a lot of information regarding where I intended to buy parts from. I had found a source that had better prices than Partszilla. Can anyone recommend a good supplier of rubber parts?       BDC