Sight Glass Cleaning

Started by Re-Vision, February 13, 2015, 08:05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Re-Vision

I've been powder coating and cleaning all items mounted on the handlebars. Some of the master cylinders are extremely cruddy looking so I'm sonic cleaning them before powder coating. Was surprised by how much clearer the sight glasses appear and I'm sure the fluid level will now be visible.          BDC

fret not

Bobby, is ultrasonic cleaning sufficient preparation for powder coating?  I would have thought some blasting might be in order.  I have never done powder coating so I don't know what it requires.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

The Prophet of Doom

Let's see some pics of your powder coating Bobby

Re-Vision

Ultra-sonic cleaning is for cleaning the insides of the m/c from hydraulic fluid residue. I'll sandblast the outsides last so the powder-coating wont get messed up. I'd rather not show any pictures yet because I only had one shade of black and it is too glossy.       BDC

The Prophet of Doom

I found the Eastwood Satin black to be a fairly good facsimile of the OEM paint.

My sight glass was cracked so I removed before coating and replaced with a watch glass - I have no idea whether the plastic sight glass, glue and o-ring will hold up to 20 minutes @ 200Deg C.  I guess you are about to find out.

Re-Vision

I thought Satin Black or the Black Texture should match pretty closely. Was wondering how some of the silver and aluminum paints would look on the engine and aluminum sideplates? Which red did you use?     BDC