News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Fixing to sell

Started by 82NightRyder, January 10, 2015, 07:24:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

82NightRyder

Finally able to post pics from my phone, though the quality isn't great. Here's my fuse box, notice anything unusual? One is not like the others, & its the only one that lights up my circuit tester's light.

fret not

Good opportunity to replace the fuse box with modern automotive blade type.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

82NightRyder

Good idea! I'm gonna call some shops & try to bring this to a close. 8)

Re-Vision

Something you might look at when putting in a new fuse box. I just did one and found the corrosion on the wire strands so bad that I replaced the wire going to the battery. This is probably normal for a thirty-two year old wiring harness that draws pretty heavy current. Just undo a little tape and replace any corrosive looking wires you might have and eliminate potential resistive connections. Get at the least a six fuse box.     BDC

82NightRyder

I tried removing the fuse box & harness, but everytime I unplug something, there's a whole nother river of the stuff going deeper into the bike. So as with the carbs, Im probably going to take it to a shop to get it fixed, if someone doesn't buy it from me by then. & when I put it up for storage, I followed the owner's manual & coated the inside of the tank with motor oil, can I put the gas back in & start it up & run? Or do I have to get the oil out?

fret not

Pretty sure it would start better with only gasoline and not the oil.  The spark is already weak, so any added interference would just make it more difficult to start.

The Prophet of Doom

What does it say about motor oil in the petrol tank? Never seen that one

Re-Vision

Page 81.                                                                                                                                 
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               1. Drain fuel tank, fuel lines, and carburetor float bowl.
                                                                                                                                            2. Remove the empty fuel tank, pour a cup of SAE 10W30 or SAE 20W40 motor oil in tank, shake                                                           
    the tank to coat the inner surfaces thoroughly and drain off excess the oil. Reinstall the tank.                                             

There are six more steps for storage.     BDC

The Prophet of Doom

Thanks Bobby - in that case I'd swirl some petrol in the tank and then discard when putting it back in service.  Small amounts probably wouldnt do much harm, but larger amounts will foul plugs and screw with your mixtures

82NightRyder

Good news! I got a couple of problems fixed, thanks to help from a neighbor. First, the choke cable is now working probably, & second, the messed up fuse has been replaced by a direct current. Though the direct current may only be a temporary fix. But there's bad news, I forgot about the problem with my tank being all rusty cause there was no fuel going into the carbs. So I bought a kit & im currently trying to knock as much rust off as possible with diesel & some nuts & bolts.

fret not

A word of caution:  fuses are there for a good reason.  If you eliminate a fuse, any item in that circuit can be damaged if there is an over voltage. :police:

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: fret nut on February 18, 2015, 01:58:06 AM
A word of caution:  fuses are there for a good reason.  If you eliminate a fuse, any item in that circuit can be damaged if there is an over voltage. :police:
Or the bike will catch fire

82NightRyder

So, would you recommend getting new fuse parts just in case?

Re-Vision

You need  one 30 Amp Main and three 10 Amp Branch fuses that were made for a twelve Volt DC system  Having proper spare fuses may well save you from being stranded somewhere.    BDC