News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Fixing to sell

Started by 82NightRyder, January 10, 2015, 07:24:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

82NightRyder

Hello all, I'm planning on fixing my V as good yet as cheaply as possible so I can hopefully sell it for a new bike by spring. My brother thinks only the jets need to be cleaned but I have a feeling it's gonna be more than that. I just called a Yamaha dealership & the parts guy said he'll be able to order a carb kit but he needs to know what i need first so im going to dig into the carbs. Please feel free to guide me through if you've done something similar to reluctantly part ways with your V.

fret not

Generally, unless you have damaged parts in your carbs you mostly just need to make sure they are clean and adjusted.  If your jets are corroded they need to be replaced but usually they can be cleaned and reused.  Put an in line fuel filter between the petcock and fuel pump.

Make sure you have no air leaks or vacuum leaks in your fuel system.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

82NightRyder

Thanks! I was wondering, would I have to replace the gaskets every time I take apart the carbs? The motorcycle shop parts guy kept mentioning it when I asked for a carb rebuild/cleaning kit.

jefferson

Your gaskets should be reuseable unless they are torn or otherwise unuseable. Just be careful when you are removing the tops of the carbs and you should be good.

82NightRyder

I hope so! The jackass who "fixed" my bike last time put new gaskets in. I'm gonna try to get the carbs out sometime this month & take them to a PROFESSOINAL mechanic to look @ & clean them, then I'll have the elecrical issue to take care of then she should be good to sell. I just bought a 2/8 phillips screwdriver, a shop towel, and a fluid catch pan, is there anything else I should get to get the carbs out and/or check my electrical syestems? Oh, & one more thing, I tried to unscrew the electrical box on the right handle bar but the screws are so rusted I got one out with help from wd-40 but the other screw has pretty much lost its teeth. :P Does anyone know how to get a stubborn screw with a "destroyed" head loose?

jefferson

I would use a drill and very carefully remove the head of the screw. You need to use a drill that is the same size as the head of the screw. When the head comes off you will have the shaft left to grab with some vise grips after taking the two pieces apart. Soak it real good in some pb blaster before trying the vise grips.

82NightRyder

Alrighty, I'll see what I can do. :)

82NightRyder

Okay, I've been trying to remove the screws on the electrical box on the right handlebar but one of the screw heads is destroyed, so I got a couple of drill & extractor sets to remove it. I followed the instructions on the back of the packages & even watched tutorials on YouTube, but all i managed to do was make a deep hole in the screw & I still cant get the extractor in good enough to get the screw out. :-\ This is going to lead to a bigger problem cause the screw holding the choke cable to the carb is also nearly mush. Please tell me I'm not the only one who's had this problem. :-[

jefferson

You don't need the extractor. Has the head of the screw fallen off from drilling? If not then keep drilling until the head of the screw comes off. You have to drill to the level where the shaft meets the head.

fret not

You must select a drill that is at least slightly wider than the shank of the screw.  When you drill through the head and reach the shank of the screw the head just falls off.  Once you have the heads removed the switch assembly should separate from the handlebar.  Then you can remove the remains of the screws easily with pliers if necessary.

82NightRyder

Hmmm, both drill bits I bought are fairly small & I really dont want to spend more money on getting another drill, could i drill within the head till im able to break it off? ???

The Prophet of Doom

Seesh, PM me your address and I'll send you a drill

fret not

Quote from: 82NightRyder on January 19, 2015, 01:57:22 AM
Hmmm, both drill bits I bought are fairly small & I really dont want to spend more money on getting another drill, could i drill within the head till im able to break it off? ???

You have a motorcycle and you don't have a drill set!  Life could become difficult without basic tools.

82NightRyder

yeah, I know, I'm still reletivly new to this but im learning. But hey, all the things I'm getting to fix my V can also be used on my next motorcycle. :)

Rikugun

Well, maybe....   That is a good approach though! Chances are ,if you eventually buy every tool you'll need to work on a Vision, you'll probably have many more than you need to maintain an average newer model.  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

82NightRyder

Huzaa! I finally got that stubborn screw out!  8) the head broke off, still need to get the rest of the screw out though. While I was high on my victory, i tried the same with the choke screw, but to no avail.  :( 2 other bits & a wrench & a pair of pliers later, I wonder if I should go bigger or deeper, I'm trying to repeat the success i had with the last screw.

cobol74

Have you tried heating the area around the screw with a hair dryer ?
That sometimes helps

QBS

If you haven't already done so, acquire a small Vice Grip tool and use it in place of pliers in this situation.  A small Vice Grip tool should be a foundational component for any life long tool box.  The sooner, the better.

82NightRyder

I don't think I ever heard of a "vice grip" before, I'll check it out maybe even buy a heat gun.  :D

cobol74

I think he meant 'vise grip'