News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Fixing to sell

Started by 82NightRyder, January 10, 2015, 07:24:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

82NightRyder

Okay, I bought a "vise grip", but it seems there are different kinds I hope I got the right one. I also got wire strippers/cutters, a heat gun, air compressor, circuit tester, & other nick-knacks, hope fully I wont need to get anything else for a while cause its cutting into my grocery budget. I'm just trying to get the carbs out so I can have a pro shop clean them with little cost & in the mean time find & fix an electrical short. Is there anything I'm missing for these two jobs?

Re-Vision

Quote from: 82NightRyder on January 23, 2015, 06:14:33 PM
I'm just trying to get the carbs out so I can have a pro shop clean them with little cost & in the mean time find & fix an electrical short. Is there anything I'm missing for these two jobs?

Good luck with the professional low cost carb cleaning. Ask for help with either job if and when you need it.    BDC

The Prophet of Doom

Search the forums - there is plenty of info on how to clean your carbs

drtaco

Quote from: cobol74 on January 23, 2015, 04:08:31 PM
I think he meant 'vise grip'
Well,, in the early 80's I was in Biloxi Mississippi at a strip club, when a lovely young lady sat down beside me and asked "would you buy a girl a drink" at the same time she gave me a 'VICE grip' between my legs :o

82NightRyder

I bought the "toothed" kind of vise grip, heated the screw with my heat gun, & it worked! the screw came out with the head & tread attached, but there's a problem: how do I get that big black chunk of plastic on top of the carbs off? I dont see anywhere where its screwed or bolted in but it wont budge when i try to pull it off.  ??? Help?

Re-Vision

Look down on the right side of the carbs where they go into the large black chunk of plastic and you should see two clamps with Phillips screws near the top of each carb that hold the air breather  onto the carbs. Loosen them up and remove the airbox.      BDC

82NightRyder

Okay, I got the air box off, & all the tubes off & screws off or loose that were holding the carbs to the engine or frame. Now to FINALLY get the carbs off! Its a little loose but wont come off do I just need to give it more muscle?

Re-Vision

Pretty much a replay of what you've just done but at the bottom of the carbs where they go into the rubber manifold attached to the heads, loosen the clamps and pull straight up.     BDC

QBS

Very Important Tip!!!:  Immediately stuff a rag down the throat of each carb.  Do it now before anything has a chance to fall into the engine.  After you get the carbs off the engine, immediately stuff a rag down each intake port for the same reason.  If anything ever drops into the intake trac, you are so screwed.  Do you have a Haynes Manual for your bike?

Re-Vision

[/quote]
Well,, in the early 80's I was in Biloxi Mississippi at a strip club, when a lovely young lady sat down beside me and asked "would you buy a girl a drink" at the same time she gave me a 'VICE grip' between my legs :o
[/quote]

Better times than what I had the last time I drank in Gulfport Missisippi, I knew it was time to leave when one the Aussie sailors I was drinking with said "We like to fight don't we matey" when an altercation broke out. Guess he didn't know I'm a lover, not a fighter.      BDC

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: Re-Vision on January 26, 2015, 12:02:09 AM
Guess he didn't know I'm a lover, not a fighter.      BDC
So you ripped off his clothes right there in the bar?

Rikugun

There it is!  :)

I was expecting a reply from POD to the "strip club lady's vice grip" comment, but better late than never!
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

82NightRyder

Okay, I got the carbs off the boots/intake manifolds, but I can't seem to pull the carbs out of the frame from the top, & there's a big metal part marked m-something corporation on the right side of it. I've been searching the forums & it seems tiger has the best solution, the folks who wrote my repair manual left out a bunch of details. You shouldn't have to take the carbs themselves apart just to get them out of the bike, right?

Guerrero

noo.the carbs are coming out from the left side of the frame very easely.

Re-Vision

Here's how I take the carbs out. On the top left side of bike where the wiring harness is located, loosen the harness from the tabs holding it to frame and pull it up. Disconnect choke and throttle cables from carbs and remove carbs from bike under frame rail at left rear near rear cylinder.      BDC

82NightRyder

Alrighty, I'll try it that way.  :)

Guerrero

yea,that's the best way.Just i could not explain that ;)

The Prophet of Doom

Someone should make a video of removing the carbs.  It seems to trip up all the newbs

Rikugun

Quote from: ProphetOfDoom on January 27, 2015, 02:46:54 AM
Someone should make a video of removing the carbs.  It seems to trip up all the newbs
Yup, and is probably responsible for many of the broken carb drain pipes.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

82NightRyder

Its done. I got the carbs out, but I had to partially disassemble them to get them out then I reassembled them. Im getting pretty sick & tired of messing with those carbs which is why im taking them to a shop to inspect & clean them. But before I do, is there anything i should include on the carbs? I think another guy on here said he included the fuel filter attached to it.