News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Triumph calipers

Started by The Prophet of Doom, January 14, 2015, 01:07:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Prophet of Doom

Buying BREMBO pads for my vision calipers reminded me that we share calipers with the YPVS RD350 / RZ350.  I wondered what aftermarket calipers they might have targeted for that bike.

Then I found this...
Triumph calipers a direct fit on an RZ !!! found on http://www.rzrd500.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=45375&sid=a9ebf482f9281375dde6d285612ddf8b

This needs more exploration

[edit] OK so there are two different caliper bolt spacings on YPVS models.  This is the wrong one - you don't need to read any further [/edit]

dingleberry

Just happens that I have a pair of those on my other Triumph. Want measurements?
You like, oui?

The Prophet of Doom

Yes please.
A quick trip through the mill should see the triumph logo gone, and adding them without adapters and having stock rotors should satisfy the WoF Nazis

How will your Daytona work if the calipers are on my bike?  I guess you can have my old XZ calipers :-)

dingleberry

Haha. They are only Nissin calipers with Triumph logo on them. Better not let you near my Speedy with it's Brembos eh? I'll try and be sober enough tonight to go and check them out.
You like, oui?

QBS

Does this mean that the calipers pictured in the jpeg will bolt straight on an '83 V with no modification to anything, including using the stock '83  rotors?

dingleberry

I will see if I can bolt on the Vision calipers to the Daytona and if they work then everything will be hunky dory
You like, oui?

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: QBS on January 15, 2015, 12:21:40 AM
Does this mean that the calipers pictured in the jpeg will bolt straight on an '83 V with no modification to anything, including using the stock '83  rotors?
That's what the RZ guys are saying - also that 4 pot FZR250 units work.  The RZ uses the same part numbers as the XZ
Hopefully Dingleberry will sober up in the weekend and do some measurements for us.

QBS

The center to center measurement on my stock '83 fork caliper mounting lugs is approx. 3.5".  The pictured caliper will not bolt on without significant modification to something.

Upon further review: The '83 center to center measurement appears to be about 1.5". 

supervision

QBS, I have am running RZ350 rotors on my 82 XZ , I like them less than stock 83 rotors, seams like less braking and hole lot noisier, I never weighed them on a scale, but just  holding them I couldn't feel any lighter. I also have the 82 master, and 83 forks, steel lines.
" border="0

cobol74

The RZ350 model that will use the triumph TT600 4pot calipers is the 86 and later models of the RZ350 ie RZ350F and later.

I have an 87 Fz600 frontend on my XZ550 with 2001 Triumph TT600 calipers direct bolt on.

Rikugun

I'd have to agree - not all RZ and RD fork legs are the same. The picture POD posted appears to have a larger boss spacing like this one:
http://motorbike-search-engine.co.uk/classic_bikes/1990-rd350-ypvs-f2.jpg

as opposed to this RZ which has spacing like the XZ and RD350LC:
http://raresportbikesforsale.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/RZ350_2a.jpg

To QBS' measurement of 3.5" 1983 XZ boss spacing - my memory is more like 53 43mm for my '82.  I thought the 2 years were the same?

edit: my memory was off by 10mm and my measurements by 2mm
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

The Prophet of Doom

Yeah False alarm - sorry guys

I should have looked at that pic more carefully.   I'd just jumped because I'd been buying RZ pads - (same part number)
Vision spacing is 45mm and those Triumph  - well a lot more than that - perhaps 80 or 100.
I hate the way Japanese keep changing key things like bolt patterns - it makes life so difficult

The Prophet of Doom

Nice looking Kenny RZ by the way.  Looks like my old one but without the dents and blood splatter

Rikugun

Quote from: ProphetOfDoom on January 15, 2015, 12:58:57 PM
Nice looking Kenny RZ by the way.  Looks like my old one but without the dents and blood splatter

Is that a special Asia/Pacific market motif?  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

QBS

At the end of the day, I feel that for non track usage, the double disc set up with stainless braided lines and soft pad material provides all the braking power I need.  Further modification would be more for bragging rights rather than significant improvements in safe operation.

supervision

Hi, think QBS is correct. Because the single brake disc is larger, it could be improved with twin piston, and of course steel line.
" border="0

Rikugun

Additionally - and something I learned here on the site - the '82 master cylinder bore is too big for good lever advantage. Replacing the caliper with one with added piston area changes the ratio favorably.