News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Brake pad dropped out!!

Started by pinholenz, January 24, 2015, 03:53:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinholenz

Streuth!

Came back from a ride today and totally lost any function in the front brakes at the top of the driveway. Plenty of fluid, no apparent leaks and I managed to get some pressure back after lots of pumping on the brake lever.

Walking back to the house, I found a brake pad - minus its backing plate, sitting on the drive. When I strip the brake calipers I expect to find the backing plate still in the unit. I had replaced the pads last summer with new old stock pads that I had been given. I am not an aggressive rider and there is still plenty of meat on the pads.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? Gave me quite a fright since I live in a very hilly and twisty area.
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550

QBS

Praise God.  You dodged a bullet.  Have never heard of this type of failure.

The Prophet of Doom

I always thought they had brass dowel pins to stop that, but perhaps only on the higher quality pads.  From googling it seems that this is not as rare a problem as you might think.

fiat-doctor

I had this happen with the rear brake shoes... bad but not as bad as the front pads!!
Glad you are ok!

turbosteve84

Just replaced my pads with NOS, gen-u-ine Yamaha rebuild kit with new pin and piston and dust seals. Though I'm a looooong way from riding the bike you've got me worried. Obviously they're bonded, and the bonding material failed. Spooky.
Steve
saddlebums.tumblr.com

The Prophet of Doom

Why would you get NOS pads when pads in our pattern are still being manufactured. 

I'm happier trusting my life to 2014 Brembo than 1982 Yamaha

pinholenz

Yep, All praise to a sovereign and merciful God. Love the Light  - Luck is for wimps.

Rikugun

Quote from: turbosteve84 on January 24, 2015, 08:00:22 PM
Just replaced my pads with NOS, gen-u-ine Yamaha rebuild kit with new pin and piston and dust seals. Though I'm a looooong way from riding the bike you've got me worried. Obviously they're bonded, and the bonding material failed. Spooky.

Steve, I have a new set of Pyramid sintered pads if you're interested. You can research them online or maybe someone here has experience with them?

You can have them for the cost of shipping or I can give them in person if you make the Norton Riders event this spring.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

pinholenz

New brake pads in, and an opportunity to have a good look at the failed pad.

My best guess is that the pads that I was given were (NOS)  aftermarket pads. The dimples at the back of the pads were not well defined like the new replacements. On the pad that failed, the bonded area had rusted and that obviously released the bond. Its opposite number seemed quite solid and no amount of hammering would get the pad to separate from its backing plate.

There was no brand name apparent.

Although Pyramid Part pads are almost 2x more expensive than current equivalent Chinese imports, this experience has taught me that when it comes to the life dependent bits like brakes and tyres, you might not live to regret buying a bargain!