News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Visioné Café Racer update

Started by turbosteve84, January 24, 2015, 08:09:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dingleberry

I would think a new spring would be a better alternative but I suppose they can't be obtained any more. Old springs get weak after many years I seem to remember reading. It would be cool to get an aftermarket spring rated to individual's weight but probably not possible. But I wonder if a spring maker would take on a job like that? Or even just resetting/heat treating?
You like, oui?

turbosteve84

I'm using a rear shock from a Yamaha R1 -- I believe it's a 2004. A little shorter than the stock shock, but I may do a welding trick on the swing arm mount to get it back to "normal" length. Anyway, it looks light years better than the Vision shock and is more adjustable. I may try "painting" the spring with rubberized paint used for tool handles. --Steve
Steve
saddlebums.tumblr.com

The Prophet of Doom

Probably the same shock as I've got http://ridersofvision.net/rovforum/index.php?topic=13508.msg132489#msg132489.  So far I haven't worried about the height, just dropped the front to match.   Looks really nice with the canister, but the yellow spring has to go.  Racetech do half a dozen different shock springs for the R1 - about $US125 each.  Probably in Racetech yellow though - like the retarded cousin from the country, they don't talk about it.

What did you do for the bushings?  I'm not entirely happy with mine.

dingleberry

I'm proud of the yellow spring on my Speed3's Ohlins  8)
You like, oui?

turbosteve84

OK. The tank fabrication is not going so well.

In the beginning of May I contacted the fabricator. The tank was not done. Not even close as it turned out. We had a conversation and he sent me the tunnel of the tank. Wanted me to take measurements on the frame and send those and the tunnel back to him. Said it was OK if I had someone else complete the fabrication. (Not what I wanted to hear).

Thought it would be better if I shaped a tank out of foam so there's no question on what I want. So that's what I did. Now, will I return the "dummy" and the tunnel to the fabricator for completion? Not sure. Hipster indifference bothers me. I'm going to call a local fabricator and get his thoughts.

The images show where I am. The first is of my first attempt. Thought it was too bulbous and it was a little too long. Shaved off a considerable amount from the back "slant" (next image) and I like it much better. The third image is the reshaped tank. My wife calls it the Turkey Broiler. Hah! She has a point.

The final image is the photoshopped version I created and the look I'm sticking too, as best I can. BTW, I Bondo-ed the "tank" and painted it with primer to get a better idea of the shape. --Steve
Steve
saddlebums.tumblr.com

The Prophet of Doom

Steve, that looks really good, but I can see why your guy is reluctant - it's a pretty complex shape.  No clipon cutouts - are you sure you have enough clearance at full lock ?

You haven't said if you are getting it done in steel or alloy...What about fibreglass and DIY it?  There's some pics of a red tank done in glass somewhere on the forum.

turbosteve84

I would prefer aluminum. Won't have to worry about rust or even painting it. Just polish it every now and then. --Steve
Steve
saddlebums.tumblr.com

fret not

From one who has had a couple aluminum tanks, it tends to get "dirty" smudges on everything.  The aluminum oxide leaves a gray smudge on black leathers, and anything else that rubs against it.  Easily solved by painting with a durable finish.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

turbosteve84

Thanks, Fret. I'll consider that.

Can the aluminum tanks be clear-coated? Oh wait, I hate that! Aluminum always yellows under a clear coat.

I'll figure something out. 

If this works out I'll have a stock tank for sale that's immaculate on the inside. Outside...not so much.  --Steve
Steve
saddlebums.tumblr.com

Rikugun

QuoteIf this works out I'll have a stock tank for sale that's immaculate on the inside. Outside...not so much.
When that day comes I might be interested. I'll PM with my email addy.

Sorry to hear the fabricator is flaking out. I do like the shape and how It works with the tail section.

I found pics of the tank POD referenced. The shape is fairly faithful to the original albeit wider for more capacity. It may have gone through different cosmetic changes. In the first, there is a clear-ish section at the front of the knee relief where fuel level can be observed? I didn't save a link to the thread - does anyone recall the member's name? Found it:
http://ridersofvision.net/rovforum/index.php?topic=8027.0
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

turbosteve84

That looks like a pretty amazing fiberglass job. Doubt I have the chops to pull it off. I'm actually more impressed with the muffler! --Steve
Steve
saddlebums.tumblr.com

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: turbosteve84 on May 22, 2015, 09:13:09 AM
Aluminum always yellows under a clear coat.
It's the clear coat that yellows, but these days there are plenty of non-yellowing clears around.
Por 15 Glisten PC for instance

Quote from: turbosteve84 on May 22, 2015, 03:24:16 PM
Doubt I have the chops to pull it off.
Bondo / Resin it's the same dealIf you can do a job like you did on the foam tank you could do glass.

dingleberry

A bike like the above one needs Renthal ultra lows on it I think. I agree with POD, you'll handle fiberglass just fine. Keep up the good work.
You like, oui?

turbosteve84

Got the rear cowl painted yesterday by a local bike builder/rebuilder. Urethane paint with clear coat. This guys works in his back yard, talks to you as he's painting, and does incredible work. I had shaped the piece, bondo-ed, primed and sanded it -- all the prep work.

Actually had it ready for paint last week, but decided to shave it down an inch or so from the back to front to get the proper angle once it's mounted to the bike. Had to reposition my three-point mounting system so it was quite a bit of re-work. But I'm happy the the results and waiting for the tank to be completed so I can move on to the seat fabrication.

I'll let the cowl dry for a week, sand and compound it, and bring it back to the painter for the final coat of clear. --Steve
Steve
saddlebums.tumblr.com

turbosteve84

POD,

Sorry, never answered your inquiry about the shock bushings.

I drilled out the lower one, like you did. For the top I was "lucky" that the R1 unit I bought did not have a bushing in it. I just went to Sears Hardware and found a suitable bushing and washer arrangement.

But I'm not happy with the setup on either end. I don't think they'll last very long. What I want to do is press out the old bushings from the stock shock and install them on the R1 shock. Just gotta find someone who has the press, skill and patience to do this.

Below are a couple of photos of my tank fabrication.   --Steve
Steve
saddlebums.tumblr.com

The Prophet of Doom

From many Youtube videos it looks like new bearings will press in/out with nothing but a vice.  The hard part will be finding suitable bearings - especially in this country.  If you find anything to suit the R1 on the XZ let me know.

Tank's looking good so far.

turbosteve84

I know, I know. I was expecting this Vision café racer to be doing some café racing by now, but we've got Trouble right here in River City, with a capital "T" and that rhymes with -- well, "T," -- and that stands for TANK. My fabricator had loads of trouble welding up the shape I wanted. When he did the grinding on the welds he got holes. Lot of 'em. Long story short, the fuel tank is probably unusable as it is. I'm not happy. He's promising me a new tank done up with thicker aluminum. The question is when.

Good news is the tail is buffed, polished and FINISHED. The painter, who worked pro bono, had loads of trouble himself with fisheyes in the clear coat. I sanded for hours to remove them. Now with the holy tank and tail in hand I can at least measure for the seat pan and get that rolling. The frame with be painted by me if the humidity here in the Northeast, U.S., cooperates (hottest time of year right now). All other pieces are painted and/or polished and ready for assembly. Electrics, I'm sure, will be another hurdle.

A couple of images are attached. --Steve
Steve
saddlebums.tumblr.com

Rikugun

Sorry to hear about the tank problems but if you do end up with a custom aluminum tank you'll be the envy of the ROV!  :D
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: turbosteve84 on August 16, 2015, 09:05:38 AM
My fabricator had loads of trouble welding up the shape I wanted. When he did the grinding on the welds he got holes. Lot of 'em. Long story short, the fuel tank is probably unusable as it is. I'm not happy. He's promising me a new tank done up with thicker aluminum. The question is when.
Couldn't he just re-weld - perhaps on both sides? Or outsource the welding to someone more experienced?  Most tanks I've seen are 1.6mm or 1.8mm.  Thicker than that must be pretty hard to shape.

turbosteve84

I hear you. On my way now to the guy who welded the rear frame hoop.

Tank fabricator says it's getting too thin around the welds where the aluminum is bent, or stretched to make those top curves. When he welds the aluminum collapses. I believe he used .060 gauge material (?). He says he's going to make me a new tank with thicker aluminum. We shall see. --Steve
Steve
saddlebums.tumblr.com