News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

The John Britten Tribute Sound of Thunder

Started by The Prophet of Doom, February 11, 2015, 02:44:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Prophet of Doom

The Christchurch BEARS M/C annual meeting at the Ruapuna circuit, just out of Christchurch (NZ) on 21st-22nd February have decided to commemorate the 20th anniversary of John Britten's passing with what they have named "The John Britten Tribute Sound of Thunder"

They are hoping to have at least half of the 10 Britten's built to put in an appearance .

I'll be there.

Rikugun

I had to do a search to educate myself and found this bike and it's inventor to be very cool. 

Found several YouTube vids but this one was particularly interesting. It shows an early trip to Daytona where a cracked cylinder liner nearly kept them from qualifying. It's repaired and goes on to race but DNF's with a problem shared with the Vision.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM_aNwaodd4

The WIKI page is a good read and lists the very impressive racing accomplishments of this short lived racer. The inventor's own short life may have robbed the motorcycling community of further innovations.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

dingleberry

I am gutted that I cannot be there this year as I'm at a wedding that weekend. I highly recommend reading the John Britton story, it's really quite inspirational, although I only paid 30NZD not the price advertised on this website:  http://www.amazon.com/John-Britten-Tim-Hanna/dp/1877333085
You like, oui?

dingleberry

You like, oui?

The Prophet of Doom

So if you didn't quite manage the Sound of Thunder because you were too busy looking up bridesmaid's skirts, then perhaps the Classic Japanese MC Show on 22nd March.  Christchurch, NZ

Rikugun

What the hell? This looks awesome - why aren't there any shows like this near me?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

fret not

R, you can contact the VJMC rep in your area Richard Holman, and he can educate you as to local and regional activities.  Go to the VJMC web site and look around a bit, I think you'll find what you need.  Their big event comes in October and Art bone usually attends.  That is the Barber Vintage Festival at the Barber comples just outside Birmingham Alabama.  Camping, racing, super museum, and more bikes than you can look at.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Rikugun

Thanks Fret Nut. I was aware of the Barber event and hope to make it one day. I'll check out the VJMC and see if there is something a bit closer.

The Prophet of Doom

I tried to join the VJMG, they told me i'd be happier in a different club because my bike was too modern.  They only take people with bikes before 85, but the XZ is excluded because it was ahead of its time.

dingleberry

Ha ha good one! I'll have to check my trail riding calendar. Might be a good place to put up "for sale" posters.
You like, oui?