News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Restoring Vision, what needs to be done?

Started by b_racuda, March 10, 2015, 07:27:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b_racuda

Saw a old comfort saddle for bicycle in the garage which was never used. Well I cut it open to saw what is inside. There was a gel pad! Decided to improve my Visions riding comfort installing the gel pad in Vision saddle. Now I have a good reason to do a new cover also.

b_racuda

Progress, tank coated inside with POR 15 and painted outside with Oxford Green (from BMW color chart). Also rims are powder coated with black and new set of tires. Tires are Avon Roadrider, front 110/80 and rear 120/80.

Rikugun

The rims look awesome. I used those Avons on another bike and had good luck with them although the "stickiness" came with a longevity price.

The paint work looks great too. How were the tuning forks and "Yamaha" logos done?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

b_racuda

Thanks Rikugun! The logos are stickers from Ebay, they are under clear coat. http://m.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-CARBON-FIBER-5in-12-7cm-decals-stickers-r6-fz1-keyboard-fz8-seca-zuma-rz-/351244684507?nav=SEARCH

This project is not anymore restoring, I have changed a lot of parts and the bike is not coming to look original anymore.

b_racuda

Seat cover nearly finished, thanks to my wife :)

Rikugun

Those look like some nice seams - nice work.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

b_racuda

Really satisfied with the new seat cover. The seat is not yet attached but I was tempted to test how it looks. Also the new front tire (110/80) fits inside the original fender. I was trying to cover the front fender with carbon look sticker but it is difficult. Also I am not sure that it keeps proberly attached after the first rain. So thinking if I just paint it black...

Re-Vision

The engine looks really nice too. Has it been painted or polished?     BDC

b_racuda

QBS

The bike is beautiful.  How is it running?  How many miles on it?

b_racuda

Well, I have spend more time repairing than driving  ;D I have owned this bike for three years and there has been some good moments when the bike has been running beautifully. Then something has shown up and the bike has stalled (stator, starter, starter clutch, carburetors, ignition unit, R/R, valve clearances). Now every common  Vision problem is fixed so I am hoping to get whole summer just driving. The bike has 19500 kilometers in the odometer and I believe that the odometer is original. This Vision is model year 1984 and it was originally German low power model. I have also changed low power parts to full power parts.

Rikugun

Wow that is pretty. Very clean and lots of detail. I like the rim treatments and the fork brace as well.

Did you apply that carbon fiber sticker to the "fly screen" too? Looks nice.

b_racuda

Nearly there, it lacks gasoline and one spring to brake pedal and the receiver for the speedometer. Glued the speedometer magnets today and have tomorrow figure out where and how to place the receiver :)

b_racuda

After first test drive, the aftermarket tachometer does not work from the Visions original tachometers grey wire. The aftermarket tachometer should be connected to the coils positive wire, anyone know which wire coming to coil is positive? The steering stem bearing still feels loose after second attempt to tighten it, I donĀ“t know how tight you can put it. When the front wheel is not touching the ground the steering feels tight, but when riding it feels lose.

Also local newspaper visited to our neighbourhood and did some article about it. I was unlucky to give some interview and they wanted to take fotos where me and my son look to my Vision. They only made mistake when they wrote the article, they called the bike XD550. Here is the picture http://www.ess.fi/incoming/article2267616.ece/ALTERNATES/w980/1439504.jpg

Walt_M.

You have done so much really good work that I hesitate to mention something so basic but, did you loosen the upper fork pinch bolts before you tightened the steering stem nut? Also, did you change the bearings to tapered rollers? I have not yet done it but I have heard those can be difficult to get tight. Good looking bike though.
Whale oil beef hooked!

b_racuda

Thanks Walt! Actually I did change to tapered bearings and I did do it as it was descripted in Haynes manual. I also hammered with rubber hammer and pumped the front end before tightening and after when other bolts were loose. But I think it has something to do when the wheel is not touching the ground, I have to test to do it with the wheel on the ground and tighten them again.

QBS

You say that "when riding it feels loose."  Please explain what you mean by "loose".

With wheel off the ground the handle bars should show little to no resistance to turning back and forth, lock to lock.  If there is resistance to turning back and forth the bike will show instability/oversteering pretty much in direct proportion to how much the steering stem bearings are over tightened.  The steering stem bearings should be tight only to the point where there is just the slightest amount of handle bar turning resistance with the wheel off the ground.  One finger pressure should easily move the handle bar back and forth.

All steering stem bearing adjustments must be made with the wheel off the ground.  It is the only way that the steering stem turning resistance can be judged.

Rikugun

QuoteThe aftermarket tachometer should be connected to the coils positive wire, anyone know which wire coming to coil is positive?

I believe it is the R/W wires.

Regarding the loose feeling while riding: There is an unlikely but easy to check item. I've only seen this once some time ago and I don't recall the reason why - perhaps improperly sized bearing races or the like?

Remove the steering stem bolt (22mm?) and make sure the top of the steering stem is slightly lower than the surface of the top triple clamp. If not, the top triple bracket at the stem will not be unified resulting in a loose feeling in the handlebars on rough roads, braking, etc. It's hard to describe but you may feel a "clunking" sensation. It should look like the picture.

Nice picture of you and your son but the Vision is the real celebrity of the neighborhood!

b_racuda

Rikugun, it just that clunking feeling when braking or driving rough roads. I have to check that steering stem bolt and take a picture. How tight You have to tighten that 22mm bolt?

Have to say that fork brace, new wheel bearings and 110/80 front tire did a good job for my bike. The ride feeling is a lot better than before. The steering is more accurate and the front end feels stiffer. Also when pushing the bike it is a lot easier than before.

With new Ignitech ignition the bike starts right away, with the old tci unit it took multiple cranks before starting. Only thing is that now it feels that I have to adjust the caburetors again. I may take my bike to dyno to adjust everything. I have also Ixil exhaust silencer waiting, when I have funds to pay somebody to build me a exhaust pipe (4-1).

b_racuda