News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Restoring Vision, what needs to be done?

Started by b_racuda, March 10, 2015, 07:27:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b_racuda

Maybe I try one more time so that first the loosening every bolt and nut. Then steering stem nuts tight, after that steering stem bolt and then pinch bolts. I have to focus on that 22mm bolt that it is tight.

Walt_M.

Have you checked the front fork assembly? Your bike does not have enough kms on it to be worn bushings in the forks but are they original?
Whale oil beef hooked!

b_racuda

Rikugun, You were right, thanks! I took tank away and loosened pinch bolts, steering stem bolt and even loosened the steering stem nuts a bit. Then I took a rubber hammer and gived a good bangs to upper tree. Then I tightened first the steering stem bolt, then pinch bolts. Then went for a ride and the problem is solved!

QBS

Good for you b-r!  Excellent advice Rik.  Every V I've ridden or learned about has had a knock in the front end.  It was elicited by either aggressive application of the front brake, or rocking the bike back and forth against the front brake.   I've discussed it with several shops, techs, as well as Forum members.  The consensus is that the answer would be related to the steering stem.  To my knowledge, no fix was found.  Perhaps it has now been found.

Rikugun

b_racuda, glad you got it sorted out. I know those kinds of things can be frustratingly annoying.

QBS, thanks for the vote of confidence but there is another source of noise in the XZ fork - no bushing at the bottom of the stanchion. This leaves the end somewhat free to knock around in the lower leg. There was an article in German posted some time ago outlining a fix that purportedly addressed this issue.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

b_racuda

Seems like I have to take the first repairing again. The bike is not starting proberly when the engine is cold and some hesitation at low rpms.

QBS

Best fix is to ultrasonically clean both carb bodies to the very best of your ability.  Otherwise, dip the carb bodies in the best available bulk carburetor cleaner, perhaps for several hours.

Question for Group:  Would a product like "Pine-Sol" or "Pine-Sol" itself be an effective carb cleaning product.  For those not familiar with this product, "Pine-Sol" is the brand name for a pine based household cleaning product sold throughout much of North America.  I seem to recall a discussion from long ago regarding using "Pine -Sol" as an ultrasonic cleaner dip for carb cleaning.

fret not

I recall that discussion and Tiger was involved, but I don't recall if he was the one that suggested it.  It is a cleaner that dissolves oily substances for sure.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

The Prophet of Doom

I LOVE my ultrasonic cleaner.

Not that you can get it here, but I've checked the Pinesol FAQ and it says 
Quote"We do not recommend using Pine-Sol® Original Multi-Surface Cleaner on aluminum, copper or marble surfaces.  Read more at https://www.pinesol.com/faq/#multi-surface#qpyuJhAlIRP0orTW.99"

I use:
1 Tblspoon dishwashing concentrate per litre of water.
Stay clear of acids (vinegar turns aluminium black), or anything that could explode when vapourised.

Rikugun

I remember the Pine Sol discussions and some people may have been in favor of it. It does have some amount of glycolic acid which may damage aluminum if left soaking too long? The same can be said of commercial carb dips of the past so care should be taken depending on the strength of the cleaner. Here's a Dupont glycolic cleaner specifically for aluminum and copper.
https://www.chemours.com/Glycolic_Acid/es_MX/assets/downloads/K16080_Metal_Finishing.pdf

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

b_racuda

Thanks guys for the advices. I decided to try ultrasonic cleaning. I take myself carburetors in pieces and deliver them to local motorcycle shop which have the ultrasonic cleaning machine. They said that ultrasonic cleaning may harm all the rubber parts so I ordered butterfly seals in case which I plan to change after the cleaning. Also I try take every o-ring away before cleaning. Anyway, do you agree that ultrasonic cleaning is harmful for the rubber parts? How about the floats?

I remember having trouble taking one part apart from the carburetor, I don´t know what is it called but it has a ball and spring inside and giving that extra shot of fuel. The picture is from the old thread and was originally posted by Windjammer, I just add the arrow to show the part which I am talking about.

Rikugun

QuoteAnyway, do you agree that ultrasonic cleaning is harmful for the rubber parts? How about the floats?

That's a good question. I hadn't considered if rubber is sensitive to cavitational erosion. The shop may be referring to the chemical cleaning fluid used rather than the effects of ultrasonic cleaning itself. Since you are removing all the rubber parts and plan on replacing the shaft seals, it shouldn't matter.

Some may disagree, but if you can't get the accelerator pump nozzles removed I wouldn't worry about it. I don't think there is a spring. If you can hear the ball rattle when you shake the carb body, it's free. You have to weigh the possible damage to those parts and the press fit needed to refit. Also, inadvertently bending the nozzle will have a negative effect on it's performance.

Having said that I'd bench test the assembled carbs specifically regarding the nozzles spray pattern. If they perform correctly I don't see the need to risk damage pulling those nozzles out.

QBS

No need to ultrasonically clean the float.  It might get damaged, not sure.  But, it doesn't needed to cleaned anyway.  The main thing is to clean out all of the tiny air and fuel passages that are primarily found in the carb body.  I'm glad you are ultrasounding your carbs.  It's really the way to go if it's available.

b_racuda

Today morning took my carburetors to the shop for ultrasonic cleaning. They did it but said that if You want them to work proberly we need to finish cleaning with mechanically by hand. Well I want them to be clean so they continue to clean them. I also decided to let them to change those butterfly seals which came yeasterday by mail from the States. Looking forward how the bike is behaving with clean carburetors!

b_racuda

Well, I have carburetors cleaned. Few problems, I noticed that other emulsion tube is missing, maybe it is somewhere in the shop. Other thing, I tried to take the butterfly valve screws open but they are very soft material. So now they are partly loose but the screws are in very bad shape.

Anyone know where to purchase new screws for the butterfly valves? The shop is closed for the weekend so I have to ask them to find my emulsion tube. If the worst case happens and they can't find it either where I can find the replacement?

Walt_M.

The Mikuni site does list the screws so they should be available. Not sure about the emulsion tube, maybe a member has one to spare.
Whale oil beef hooked!

The Prophet of Doom

I got my butterfly screws from Mikesxs.  They sell seals also, but they are a standard metric seal available from seal supplies shops.

b_racuda

Good news, they found my emulsion tube from the shop where they cleaned the carbs. Good news is also that the butterfly screws are now detached. Bad news is that they are in the shape that can´t be put back and I have to buy new ones. POD, is there 4 pieces of screws in the Mikesxs package, I am not sure about the marking "pk/4". Just to be sure to order right amount.

Edit:
Quite high shipping price with the Mikesxs, 48$ for Finland. I have to find another source...I think the right screws are M3x8 DIN966 A2.

The Prophet of Doom

The ones I bought came in a package of 4 screws. 

The Prophet of Doom

Oh, and that shipping is outrageous.
I'd send an email to
customerservice@mikesxs.net

and ask if they will send it in an envelope rather than it's own shipping container

[edit]
I just checked prices to NZ, because I'm sure I didn't pay anywhere near that.
Priority Mail International® $50.81
First-Class Package International Service™ 14.48

Even $14.48 is a rip, but are you sure you noticed all the options? or perhaps 1st class doesn't go to Finland.
Anyway - ask them about an envelope

If that doesn't work I'll send you my spare set for $17.50 and the price of an envelope to Finland

Trouble is those screws were impossible to find over here