Restoring Vision, what needs to be done?

Started by b_racuda, March 10, 2015, 07:27:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b_racuda

Hello,

Last driving season finally ended when starter failed, almost whole summer went repairing and not driving. It was frustrating. Also when driving at low speeds the front end bounced the whole time. I believe that bouncing was due the worn steering stem bearings and old oils in the front forks. Engine was also washed with gasoline due the petcock broke down. I drove under 2000km and changed the oil at least three times because of the repairings. Next summer I wish I can drive with Vision and not to repair. So thats why I started now to restore my Vision.

I am planning to do the following steps:

1) powder coat the frame, upper tree, front brake calibers and swing arm
2) clean and polish everything
3) ultrasonic cleaning for the carburetor
4) new steering stem bearings, tapered
5) new bearings for front and rear wheel
6) new bearings for swing arm
7) starter rebuilt
8) starter clutch bolts check
9) fuel tank repair, POR 15 to inside and painting the outside
10) front forks oil change
11) repair one thread from the left side of engine, it broke down when I changed the stator (over tightened)

Previously I have changed stator, fuse box, wiring from starter solenoid to starter, changed new rectifier (Honda CBR), changed the cams, adjusted the valves, changed fittings under the carbs, changed the petcock.

Few questions:

a) I believe that Vision engine was not polished when it was new, more like satin finish. Any suggestions how I can get my engine close to original finish, soda blasting and lacquer?
b) is there anything else what should be done now when everything is apart and engine on the table?
c) can I use Helicoil to repair the thread in the engine?
d) I need those rubber things where to attach the fairings, where can I purchase those?

QBS

A few observations:  You probably don't need wheel and swing arm bearings.  Changing the fork oil is a good idea.  POR-15 is a very good idea.  The engine was polished and clear coated at the factory.  Helicoil repair the way to go.  Assuming that you are referring to the round doughnut shaped rubber pieces  used to attach the  plastic covers to the fairing and gas tank, those are often called "grommets" and might be available from a Yamaha repair depot or a well stocked hardware store.  Please see my recently posted comments on the General Board of this Forum regarding fuel petcocks, fuel filters and inline fuel cutoff valves.

Re-Vision

Quote from: b_racuda on March 10, 2015, 07:27:07 AM

I am planning to do the following steps:

1) powder coat the frame, upper tree, front brake calibers and swing arm

Few questions:

a) I believe that Vision engine was not polished when it was new, more like satin finish. Any suggestions how I can get my engine close to original finish, soda blasting and lacquer?

Powder coating the swingarm requires removing fluid and I'm not sure how the rubber seals inside will handle the heat.

There have been several comments on how to restore Front Fork Assemblies and I believe that those techniques would apply to the engine as well.         BDC

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: b_racuda on March 10, 2015, 07:27:07 AM
d) I need those rubber things where to attach the fairings, where can I purchase those?
You mean the Mirror Rubbers?
You can get reproductions here http://www.bdesigns.ca/Reproductions.htm

Other than that I don't recall that the fairing is rubber mounted

b_racuda

Thanks QBS, grommets are the ones I meant! Please find attached picture.

So if I take whole swing arm to pieces, there are still rubber parts inside? So if the swing arm are in the shape like in this picture: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-1982-XZ-Vision-550-XZ550-Swingarm-Swing-Arm-Black-/360673592716 

Sorry I didn´t look what Haynes saids before I posted.

When I look old commercials pictures of Vision the engine does not have shiny surface, it is more like satin finish. I personally don´t like chrome like shine at Vision engine. In these pictures the difference between engine and chrome exhaust pipe is very clear http://www.xz550.de/tp3/fileadmin/xz-werbung/82h.jpg and http://www.xz550.de/tp3/fileadmin/xz-werbung/83f.jpg

QBS

Wow! What a great shot of that bike.  It really shows the cornering and lean angle potential of our bikes.  It's a lot more than I've ever knowingly used, but I always suspected that it there.  Very impressive for the times and tires.

dingleberry

I thought from that shot that it might be on slicks but the front looks like a speedmaster tyre. Brave man. Really screams sports tourer doesn't it - the panniers fell off on the last two corners.
You like, oui?

Jirik

The Prophet of Doom

I don't know that it's a real picture.  The bike is probably propped up on bricks - that's the only way mine is getting a lean angle like that.

You can clearly see that the crankcase is painted.  Only the side covers and top end are polished and clearcoated.

QBS

Thank you Jirik for the UK part link.  What a wonderful place.  Attention to ALL: On page 3 of that website, third item down from the top, is shown supposed availability of the "copper exhaust gasket".  Not sure, but think this item is NLA no longer available in USA.  It is a consumable part and a critical piece for a solid V exhaust system. 

The Prophet of Doom

Those gaskets weren't available here either - which is why I ended up doing the flange mod on the XZ400 exhaust.
Still leaves the single gasket in the rear NLA, but that can be substituted with some gasket compound reasonably successfully.

Nice site with OK pricing,  I'll be sending them my credit card details soon as long as they don't gauge on postage.

Rikugun

Based on the description, I'm not sure that those gaskets are the critical ones for the "Y"pipe.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

The Prophet of Doom

I think it's the right one, but a misleading description.
The one that fits against the head is a flat cut asbestos faced gasket, rather than a plain copper crush washer like this

Rikugun

Back in the 80's when I worked at a Kawasaki dealership all the street models (as well as others) used copper crush donuts in the cylinder head ports. Suzukis used the built up metal and organic gaskets. We would regularly use what ever was in stock (or cheaper) for any model as long as the diameter was correct - the exhaust header flange cares not. Either can be reused BTW in most cases.

Since owning the Vision I've purchased copper exhaust gaskets advertised to fit the XZ and they did not fit the Y pipe but rather were sized for the exhaust port.  Just because it's copper and sold for the XZ, I wouldn't assume it will fit the Y pipe. It very well might but to be sure I'd email the seller and get a confirmation on the ID.  Not trying to be preachy but don't make the same mistake I did unless you're willing to roll the dice with cost.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

b_racuda

I have decided to paint the engine with aluminium color motor paint. The frame needs some protection to the critical parts before I hand it over to the powder coating company.

b_racuda

Finally got my starter removed, wonder it seezed...

b_racuda

Little update, starter now repaired with repair kit from the ebay and painted.

Today I got my frame back from the powder painter. The frame is powder painted to black and lacquered, with laquer it seems like grey colored.

Also took my flywheel off to check starter clutch bolts. It was time to do this because 2 out of three bolts were loose! Seems that the clutch itself is quite ok. The plate holding rollers etc. in place has some damage which is shown in the picture, a large bit was loose but that was it.

Next step is to put starter clutch back to engine with new bolts with red loctite and peened ends. Also paint everything before putting them back together.

b_racuda

Finally ready for ride! I decided to leave tank repairs to next winter.

fiat-doctor

Nice job!!  You put a ton of work into her and she looks great.

b_racuda

Flashback...  :D

Finally coated the tank with POR-15. Also decided to paint the rims black, they are at the powder coating company at the moment. Also new headlight, new speedo etc. After the POR-15 the tank seems to need new paint job. I think the color is changing too...