News:

Main Menu

So long, farewell

Started by 82NightRyder, March 12, 2015, 02:37:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

82NightRyder

Well I was finally able to do it. I've traded in my Vision & the feeling is bitter sweet, I want to thank you all for helping me with my issues, you're good folks & I wish you all luck on your projects & adventures.  :D I may linger for a little while more but other wise I'm finished.

Goodbye, -82KnightRyder

fret not

"traded in . . ." implies you exchanged your XZ for a different ride.  So, what did you become enchanted with?  What has swept you away?  Whudjaget?
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Rikugun

I'm sorry your Vision experience wasn't a bit easier. It gets old when you end up working on it more than riding but hopefully your next bike will be a bit more cooperative! What did you get?

Does the new owner know of the ROV forum?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

82NightRyder

I got a 2007 Harley-Davidson sportster 1200. I managed to trade my Vision for $600.

82NightRyder

I got a 2007 Harley-Davidson sportster1200nightster!

fret not

I heard those ride kind of rough compared to the Vision.  You must be younger than I am. ;)

82NightRyder

VERY rough, I'd prefer something japanese & non-cruiser, but no other dealership was willing to take in my vision. I do enjoy my harley though. ;D

Jimustanguitar

I ditched the Vision for a lumpy idling Buell. It's not a comfy commuter, but the fun cancels that out.

Gotta stick with a VTwin though, there's just a romance about it that's hard to match.

Rikugun

NightRyder, did you consider Yamaha's FZ-07? I've read several tests and the buzz seems to be very favorable. In this middleweight comparison it was the overall favorite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PISFJXK1K3I
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

82NightRyder

That's the bike I WISH I had! :laugh:

motoracer8

Take a ride on a FZ09 sometime. Cool motorcycle.
83 Vision and 11 others, Japanese, German and British

vl5150

I saw a FZ-09 in person the other day. It's got to be one of the best bikes today for the money. Looks great too.

Rikugun

I was an immediate fan of the FZ-09 when it first arrived here in the states. I did get an opportunity to ride one and it is a blast. I understand the new model year has had fueling and suspension complaints addressed which is nice to hear.  Having said all that, the -07 has some really impressive reviews.

The Prophet of Doom

You can only get the FZ6 and FZ8 here.  The FZ6 has 25% more torque and 50% more power than the XZ and it's learner approved.  That's nuts.

dingleberry

The learner approved one according to the LAMS list is the FZ6R which is quoted as 47hp on this link:
http://www.yamaha-motor.co.nz/hotnews/motorcycle/2013-yamaha-fz6r-sure-to-impress

it wouldn't be "sure to impress" me at that spec.

The XZ550 is not listed as being approved for learners but the 400 is.
You like, oui?

The Prophet of Doom

Oh.  That's not so good then.  I'll stick to my 0HP Vision

Rikugun

This part has me a little worried: 
Quote•A newly designed cylinder body – formed as one piece unit with the upper crankcase – has been adopted to ensure optimum rigidity balance. The cylinders are ceramic composite plated, ensuring superior heat dissipation.

Are there at least replaceable sleeves?

dingleberry

Ah the way of modern machinery. My Triumph has nikisil plated bores so I'm guessing it might be expensive come time for refurbishment, although they should last a long time if oil changes are done regularly (every 5000km in my case as I "pop the odd wheelie" every now and then..). But what of broken rings and suchlike? Are scores etc in the bores built up with weld and re-machined prior to re-plating?
I can see how Yamaha's design that Rikugun pointed out would be good but surely not that that advantageous for a mid horsepower bike like the unrestricted FZ6? The advantage probably lies in the reduced amount of alloy perhaps with this design, equating to slightly less weight and slightly less production cost? Just my cynical 2 cents  :-\
You like, oui?

fret not

Some modern bikes have the electro aluminoceramic plasma blasted cylinder walls, and they do not list oversize pistons or rings in the parts fiche.  Suzuki V-strom is an example.  You buy new cylinder and piston to the tune of a bit above $500 per jug (cylinder and piston set).  The basic reality is these things wear very well, so should remain in good operational order for many many Ks or Ms.  I recently saw a listing for a 650 V-strom with 120,000 miles, which should give some idea of how this technology wears.

The Prophet of Doom

There are several places in Christchurch that will apply thermal barrier coating (TBC) to the piston crown / cylinder bore / valve faces and solid dry film (SDF) lubricants to piston skirts / valve stems.  Both thin enough to not need any machining.

Pricing from HPC in Auckland...
$140 for TBC & SDF 2 pistons
$210 for TBC 2 combustion chambers including valve faces
$118 for SDF 8 valves
$55 for 8 valve springs

They also coat bearings, gears