News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Speed Wobble with New Risers

Started by Manmelvin, May 18, 2015, 02:29:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manmelvin

So I finally got my Vision running and working well since I installed some 83' risers and when I took it out for a ride I noticed I now have significant speed wobble above 60 mph. I haven't done anything to the chassis or steering so the only thing I can think of is that the new risers changed something. With my old 82' risers I would get some speed wobbles but only around 90+ mph and not very severe. Besides checking my steering head bearings is there anything I can do to try and fix the problem?
Red 82' Vision w/ Upgraded Carbs and 83' Risers

b_racuda

Few possible reasons for the wobble:
- bad steering bearings
- front forks in bad shape (old oils, springs in bad shape, wrong oil level)
- front wheel bearings in bad shape
- brake calibers jammed
- worn front wheel

dingleberry

If your bike wasn't having this characteristic before installing higher bars I would be looking at cable routing and investigating if there is adequate length etc. The change in riding position may also be significant enough to change weight distribution and the amount of air your body catches creating a light front end effect. Check your tyre pressures too.
You like, oui?

Manmelvin

Quote from: dingleberry on May 18, 2015, 03:00:54 AM
If your bike wasn't having this characteristic before installing higher bars I would be looking at cable routing and investigating if there is adequate length etc. The change in riding position may also be significant enough to change weight distribution and the amount of air your body catches creating a light front end effect. Check your tyre pressures too.

I think you are on to something here. I noticed I could decrease the wobbles if i shifted my weight back and sat up a bit. I will take a look at some of the quicker fixes and then try to take a peek at the steering bearings. Also what are peoples opinions on fork braces and steering dampers? I my try to machine a fork brace if nothing else seems to help.
Red 82' Vision w/ Upgraded Carbs and 83' Risers

QBS

If you don't have roller steering head bearings that are in good condition, you need to get some.  The factory ball bearing specification is trash.

Rikugun

That is odd. A number of members (including myself) have changed their '82 risers out for the '83 parts with no ill effects. It seems to me the altered rider position would only be the cause if there was all ready something wrong that up until now had gone unnoticed. The pre change 90 MPH wobble may be the clue.

I'm assuming both hands are on the bars when this wobble occurs? Without both hands on the bars the V's front wheel can sometimes exhibit the wobbly shopping cart caster effect - WSCCE for short.  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan