News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Too Hot

Started by bubstewart, May 18, 2015, 10:17:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bubstewart

Well, It's been awhile but I'm back at it.
Never fails every time I get to working on this bike and reading the past forum, I come to the conclusion I've made another mistake.
My mistake is I didn't know about the burp bolt on the T for the cooling system. My bike didn't have any antifreeze in it at all ( due to the last owner stored it ). I put antifreeze in and then realized after reading past conversations about the burp bolt. I did open it but is it to late? Will I have problems? What's your guy's thoughts on this.
I also ran test on ran the test on thermo switch and all like the book say's and found problems there as well. Traced down a thermo wire detached up behind head lamp as well as a blown fuse ( 5amp ).
I need the Vision Gods to poop all over me..

fret not

It all depends on how hot it got, and for how long. 

Does it make any unusual sounds? 

I would refill the cooling system and look for leaks.  Also look for oil leaks around the cylinders/heads.  If nothing got warped from excessive heat there should be no leaks.  There are some O ring seals between the heads and cylinders that can be damaged if too hot, but make sure you have clean oil and good coolant, and run it if it does not make any strange noises.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

bubstewart

Frett. Let me try to catch everyone up without writing a book. I got this bike by trading a blk powder pistol, the bike had locked up on the last owner and he drained everything and stored it for long time. I got anouther motor and installed it, had to walk away from it for a season and now Im back at it. So, it has never overheated that I know of. I just got it running and saw it was heating up, I shut it off before it got to the red and the fan nerver came on. Check fan motor and it works strait from battery. Im just wondering about when I put fluid in radator without removing burp bolt will it cause me problems like air bubble or whatever..

jefferson

I actually use that burp bolt to do the last part of the fill. To answer your question, Yes there is a good chance if you don't remove that bolt while filling that you will end up with air somewhere and that causes overheating. Better safe than sorry.

Rikugun

You mentioned in the first post that you have a book which I assume to mean the service manual? If so,  I'd go through the sections involving changing the coolant and bleed air from the system. Chances are good everything is fine.

The fan won't come on until the needle is quite high on the gage so nothing unusual there. It sounds like you found a few problems (fuse etc.) that you've addressed so run it again and keep your eye on the temps ad report back.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

QBS

Use the flats on the side of the connector that includes the burp bolt to stabilize it during bolt removal.  The burp bolt threads will probably be heavily corroded making the bolt difficult to remove.  Wrapping teflon tape around the threads upon reassembly will greatly ease future r and r fun and games.

Bill

My Z definitely got hot when I first got her started after several years in storage. Idling in the garage was not good. The switch that turned the fan on was not working.  After reading that several owners had rewired their fan motors, I wired around the fan thermostat and put in a on/off toggle with on the speedo housing.  (removed the trip reset which wasn't working anyway)  I've only had to turn the fan on a couple of times on hot days in stop and go traffic.  Most of my riding is on country roads below 55 mph.  Once you've got the Z dialed in you might not really have an overheating problem.  I didn't.

bubstewart

Huge thanks to all the helpfull hints, this group of folks are great. Had it running last night  for about 45 min at 3 grand. Everything so far turned out great, didn't over heat... YES!!
Now to find why my idle is staying at 2500 to 3000. Do some looking around this forum..

QBS

Check your carb sychronization and idle setting.

Rikugun

Glad to hear it's not over heating.

Quote from: bubstewart on May 20, 2015, 12:54:11 PM
Now to find why my idle is staying at 2500 to 3000. Do some looking around this forum..

Idle speed screw adjusted in too far?
Cable not adjusted properly, mis-routed, binding , etc.?
Air (vacuum) leaks?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan