News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Removing flywheel: OK, now what?

Started by turbosteve84, March 25, 2015, 08:17:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QBS

Seem to remember that there was a trick to sealing the wires.  I think it went like clean the block, the wires, the case and the cover to an oil free state.  Slide the block toward the stator and then apply copious amounts of Yamabond #3 to the case and cover voids where the block ends up living.  Next apply copious amounts of Yamabond#3 to the wires on both sides of the block.  Next, slide the block back and forth along the the wires to work the Yamahbond #3 into the block and thus seal off the oil pathway through the block.  Slide the block to its location near the voids and insert it into the engine void and the into the cover void. 

Rikugun

I did the repair you are doing and installed a new stator as well back in July 2011. I've seen where FSM's will note problem areas to use sealer but I didn't see that particular warning and installed the gasket dry. The cover has no leaks but despite my efforts to seal the wires, that area does weep a bit. It is minimal and by the end of the season you can note where dirt has stuck where the wires exit the cover. The annual cleaning with S-100 takes care of that.  :) I wouldn't call it a leak as it doesn't drip or get on my boot.

Given the Vision's appetite for stators, some members at the time advised using grease on the gasket as a release agent so it could be used again. Those that went that route seemed to feel the gasket still was doing it's job.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

turbosteve84

Thanks for all the advice.

I smeared black Suzuki Bond over the wire holders but installed the gasket dry. A little seepage is no big deal. The Suzuki Bond is really black ThreeBond. Hard to find, but worth the effort, as I found this is the only sealant that kept my Kawasaki 750 Turbo camshaft plugs (those rubber half circles) from seeping.  --Steve
Steve
saddlebums.tumblr.com

b_racuda

Giving up with rotor bolt, cant get it loose no matter how I try. I can see that my starter clutch is loose but the bolt won't give up so I can make the repair.

b_racuda

Just when loosing all hope I gave it last whack with hammer and it came loose :)